Defrosted chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Douzer77

Senior Cook
Defrosted a chicken overnight but never got to cook it today, will it be okay to cook tomorrow or should i just throw it out?

If you defrosted it in your fridge you are likely fine to wait another day. If you did the cold water method, you are likely still fine. However, if you left it out on the counter to thaw, you should probably chuck it.

Well it depends. How old was it when you froze it? Had it been sitting in your fridge for 5 days before you froze it or did you bring it home from the market and freeze it right away?

Defrosted on counter top overnight and then put it in fridge at 10 this morning when i left house for an hour ---- 12 hours later after Paddies day parade, rugby match and chinese in friends house i arrived home so reckon i'll chuck it!

Btw, if I had defrosted it fridge would it have defrosted in 12 hours? it weighed just under 5 pounds.

so what we are saying is that the chicken was unsafe by 10am this morning...
BEFORE it went into the fridge, right?

I just gotta learn my chicken etiquette! LOL

I LOVE these discussions - LOL!!!! But then I'm the "bad girl" of food safety defrosting around here - lol!!!!! Yet amazingly enough, I'm still alive to enjoy them - lol!!!

I always defrost my whole chickens on the counter (actually, inside my cold oven to deter pet interest) overnight & then pop them into the fridge the next morning. Even then they're still ice-cold to the touch & still frozen inside. If I defrosted them in my cold, cold fridge, it would take DAYS for a 5-pound roasting chicken to thaw, & frankly, I have neither the time or the forethought for that.

I would have definitely cooked & enjoyed that chicken - but heck, that's just me.

I LOVE these discussions - LOL!!!! But then I'm the "bad girl" of food safety defrosting around here - lol!!!!! Yet amazingly enough, I'm still alive to enjoy them - lol!!!

I always defrost my whole chickens on the counter (actually, inside my cold oven to deter pet interest) overnight & then pop them into the fridge the next morning. Even then they're still ice-cold to the touch & still frozen inside. If I defrosted them in my cold, cold fridge, it would take DAYS for a 5-pound roasting chicken to thaw, & frankly, I have neither the time or the forethought for that.

I would have definitely cooked & enjoyed that chicken - but heck, that's just me.

I do the same thing, but I put the bird or whatever in the sink. The only side effect I have is my skin glows a little green. :mrgreen:

If it was still cold to the touch, I would say its ok - smell it before cooking though.

I second that motion. Depends on what time "overnight" started. If it was stil cold I'd say ok. I've had them still mostly frozen after sitting overnight, but my overnights are only 5-6 hours.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, chicken is in the bin!!!! But i have always defrosted overnight on the counter cover with a bowel or foil. This particular birdie was def defrosted at 10 am but still cold to touch. Would have risked cooking it last night at 10 though, but no way would i have gotten out of bed to take it out of the oven!!!!!!!!!!

Also agree totally with BreezyCooking would think it would take days to defost the birdie in the fridge and deffo don't have the time or energy to be planning that far ahead! is there a general rule of thumb or anything on how many hours in a fridge per frozen pound??? now don't all come back telling me it depends on how cold the fridge is etc etc, i'm just looking for an idea of times!!!!!!!!!!!!:LOL:

If it was still cold to the touch when you stuck it into the fridge @ 10 a.m. & it's still there, I'd definitely cook it.

But again - that's just me. Many others here are sure to tell you that you'll end up in the hospital.

"You pays your money & you takes your choice" - lol!!

Many others here are sure to tell you that you'll end up in the hospital.
I do not know why it always has to be so all or nothing with you lol. There are plenty of other repercussions other than dying or ending up in the hospital.

I don't know about you, but I sure do not like diarrhea or headaches or other things like that and those are some of the more common symptoms of eating mishandled meat.

Cold to touch can mean so many different things. Your finger tips are close to 100 degrees if you are healthy. If you touch a chicken that is half of that then that could feel cold to you. That is well above the safe holding temp of raw meat.

Any restaurant that left meat out on a counter overnight would be shut down by the board of health if that was ever discovered. There is a reason for that.

Now of course there are plenty of times when you can practice unsafe food handling and not get sick. You can also drive for 50 years without ever wearing a seatbelt and never getting into an accident. That does not mean that it is safe or even recommended.

Back
Top Bottom