Defrosted Smoked Turkey, did I refrigerate too long?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchenelf

Chef Extraordinaire
Well, the other turkey post reminded me I have a defrosted smoked turkey, still wrapped in shrink-wrapped plastic. However, it has been defrosted for about a week - I guess I need to toss it too?

Last edited:
kitchenelf said:
Well, this post reminded me I have a defrosted smoked turkey, still wrapped. However, it has been defrosted for about a week - I guess I need to toss it too?

Smoked turkey is already cooked and in a sealed bag should be fine; however, I would cut it up, repackage and freeze it today. Remember when you remove it from the freezer again to eat it that day. I know refreezing changes some in texture but at least you will have delicious smoked turkey meat!:)

I also would be sure it is fine, particularly since it is vac sealed/shrink wrapped.

If it's a real smoked turkey as opposed to the type you find in grocery store delis the smoke will help to preserve the meat also.

JDP

Thanks cando and yes, it is a real smoked turkey - not just smoked turkey deli meat - I am so relieved! Thanks.

Alix said:
I'll come over and "get rid" of that for you. Heh heh.

Oh Alix - Had I known sooner (before I went to the grocery store) I would have used the smoked turkey in my "chicken" pot pie! I know that would have been tasty! I did add some as I was a bit short on chicken.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom