"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 09-11-2007, 09:22 PM   #21
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
This is where I am not sure I agree.
Temperature is a measure of the heat energy in a substance (man it kills me to think like a physicist again….those classes were nightmares! ). If the water is 59 degrees it has less energy than tap water at 75 degrees. Its just like driving a car, 40 MPH is less than 60 MPH, and 59 degree water has less energy than 79 degree water.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:53 PM   #22
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
We are not talking about running water though. We are talking about a pot of water changed every half hour vs. a pot of water that is not changed at all.

So if I understand you correctly then we should be able to test this fairly easily. We could take two cups with two equally sized ice cubes. In one cup we could fill it with water and place the ice cube in it until it melts. In the second cup we could place the ice cube and change the water every X minutes (lets say 10). According to you the second ice cube should melt first correct?

Yes, assuming you are using tap water as in the earlier examples.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:55 PM   #23
Chief Eating Officer

I do not have time to try this tonight, but I will try it at some point and report back.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:59 PM   #24
Executive Chef

On the gripping hand.....

If you don't run cold running water over your food being defrosted, it's still better to change the water out every 30 minutes or so until the food is defrosted.

If you leave it out at room temp until it's completely defrosted, which will take hours, you run the risk of bacterial growth.

I defrost 5 lbs of leg-and-thigh quarters on a regular basis for cooking at home. If I just leave the chicken in cold tap water, and don't change it out, it takes hours to defrost. If I change the water out every 20 - 30 minutes, that 5 lbs of chicken will be defrosted in about an hour to hour-and-a-half.

I'm not saying either way is right or wrong, but please take this bit of practical experience from someone that's been there, done that, in both commercial and home settings.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:59 PM   #25
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
I give 15 to 1 odds on this one. Changed water will melt the ice faster.

As hard as it might be, think of water as a cooking element. We all know that what a 400 degree oven will do to ribs versus a 220 degree oven. Water is the same. A bath of 75 degree water is hotter than cooled water at 55 degrees.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:21 PM   #26
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Scientists, the whole lot of ya! LOL!

Tags
None