"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Old 09-13-2004, 09:42 AM   #21
Executive Chef
:roll: - again! The day before Thanksgiving, I've got much better things to do with my own than make toast for my stuffing!

marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 10:16 AM   #22
Senior Cook
I hear ya.

Vegas Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 10:23 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Yahoo to middie
forget about standing over a toaster or near an oven all day to watch over bread. do what my mom does and lay the brread out on a cookie sheet for about a week lol.
middie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 08:08 PM   #24
Assistant Cook
I fry up breakfast sausage, crumbled and then cook the onions and celery in the grease or butter. I put some Bell's poultry seasoning on each thing as I'm cooking it, so it absorbs some flavor. Around the holidays, they sell "stuffing bread" which is just an uncut loaf. It's usually cheaper than the regular loaves and seems a little denser. (Maybe that's just my imagination.) I just keep adding poultry seasoning until it tastes good. Everything else is just like yours, assuming you use salt & pepper, too.
LynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 11:33 AM   #25
Master Chef
Man there are so many good ideas here. Which one do I pick from? :D I'm just going to have to cook turkey more often. But that's ok. It's relatively cheep, and tastes so good. Besides, there are som many things you can do with the left-overs.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 11:22 PM   #26
Originally Posted by marmalady
Oooh, okay! I always use more seasoning than the 'recipe' calls for - or more than what you would normally use - ie, '2 tsp sage' would be a lot of sage in most recipes; but when you're making stuffing, all that bread absorbs the seasoning, and dilutes it.

Why don't you try mixing your stuffing a little on the dry side with your 'normal' amounts of seasonings, veggies, and whatever else you're making it with; then taste it, and if it seems a little bland, mix some more spices with a little chicken broth/water, heat it, and then mix that in to 'adjust' your seasonings?

I love stuffing! Just the smell of the spices and onions/celery makes me swoon!

OT - Have you ever done a stuffed flank steak with bread stuffing?

Mom also made her stuffing with more seasonings than the recipe called for, and do the "tasting" thing to adjust for seasoning errors. She and I always moisten the stuffing with turkey or chicken stock.

If the dressing was made ahead, we will moisten it with turkey gravy, before re-heating it in the oven.

Oh yes. I love stuffed pork chops also!

My mother would also dry her bread out on cookie sheets, and she would add about 1/3 amount of cornbread.

choclatechef is offline   Reply With Quote