Duck fiasco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soul_venom

Assistant Cook
So I slept 10 hrs after a long day at work. I was planning on roasting a duck but had forgotten to take it out to thaw the night before. I figured no problem I'll just toss it in the roaster at 200 for a little while. About a hour later I'm still feeling a bit drowsy despite my long sleep so I decide to take a 15 minute nap. 5 hrs later I awaken and realize I'd grossly underestimated just how tired I was. The smell of duck fills the air. I rush to the stove remove the duck. It is literally falling off the bone. I had put it in frozen with zero seasonings intending to do so later after it had thawed a bit & I had removed the orange sauce packet and giblets, finishing it on a higher temp. So now I have a Tupperware container full of deboned unseasoned duck. Since the meat was cooked at a lower temp it doesn't quite have the full bolder flavor that you usually get from roast duck. What is the best way to salvage/utilize the meat?

Duck pate.
Whiz it in a food mixer or blender or chop REALLY finely. Add your seasonings of choice plus a little cream to blend.
Now,I would pack some of it into a suitable container and re-freeze for another time if there is too much to eat over a couple of days.
Anyway, the amount that you are going to eat needs to be put into a jar or container and left in the fridge to settle and get the flavors going for a few hours or overnight.
Serve with toast or with a simple salad.
Sweet Dreams !!

Duck tacos? Duck pizza? Duck sliders? I'd think and thing you can do with shredded meat would work since you normally add seasoning or a sauce and other ingredients.

So I slept 10 hrs after a long day at work. I was planning on roasting a duck but had forgotten to take it out to thaw the night before. I figured no problem I'll just toss it in the roaster at 200 for a little while. About a hour later I'm still feeling a bit drowsy despite my long sleep so I decide to take a 15 minute nap. 5 hrs later I awaken and realize I'd grossly underestimated just how tired I was. The smell of duck fills the air. I rush to the stove remove the duck. It is literally falling off the bone. I had put it in frozen with zero seasonings intending to do so later after it had thawed a bit & I had removed the orange sauce packet and giblets, finishing it on a higher temp. So now I have a Tupperware container full of deboned unseasoned duck. Since the meat was cooked at a lower temp it doesn't quite have the full bolder flavor that you usually get from roast duck. What is the best way to salvage/utilize the meat?

You had a solid frozen duck overcook like that in a 200 degree roaster after only 5 hours????

I don't think 200 is considered a safe temperature to roast poultry....

duck is about the only fowl you serve still pink.

But I don't think that would be a problem after 5 hours even at only 200.

Have often cooked turkey at 225, although I grant you it was longer than 5 hours, but then again, a turkey is a lot bigger than a duck!

And I really like the idea of rillettes - oh yummmy

Back
Top Bottom