"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 02-10-2006, 12:31 PM   #11
Master Chef

Dude....

Phil, I am with ya on that one (traffic that is). I might have to follow up on the grill ban. I have not grilled in months because of this burn ban and I do miss my grilled foods!!!!

Old 02-25-2006, 10:43 AM   #12
Master Chef

Hey!

Hey Phil.... you think we can grill now?????

Old 02-25-2006, 10:57 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Keep your DAY JOB

Folks, here in North Texas, we are borderline drought. Last night we had, at my house and I'm only 40 miles east of Sattie, I had 4.5 blessed inches of rain. The jokes on us, Sattie. It's now too wet to grill
Old 02-25-2006, 12:20 PM   #14
Master Chef

Ha!

Yea... think you are right Phil. I think it rained all night! I hope this will get us out of the "burn ban".

On that chicken... do you just coat it with salt? You use table or kosher salt? Just curious, because I am going to try this the first chance I get.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:46 PM   #15
Senior Cook

I do use kosher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie

Yea... think you are right Phil. I think it rained all night! I hope this will get us out of the "burn ban".

On that chicken... do you just coat it with salt? You use table or kosher salt? Just curious, because I am going to try this the first chance I get.
...but not on the chicken. I have a commercial salt shaker, one with a thousand holes, and liberally salt all sides, even a thigh. They have skin on one side, but I salt the meat side, too. Never has any been too salty. After all, I discard the skin before I dig in.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:58 PM   #16
Master Chef

Gonna Give it a Whirl

Phil... gonna give it a whirl.... I will report back and let you know how it turned out. I am lacking the commercial grade salt shaker, but it will give my hubby something to do for a while!
Old 03-05-2006, 07:49 AM   #17
Master Chef

Your technique is similar to creating a salt encasing on a standing rib roast. After the meat is cooked, the salt-crust is simply peeled away.

Another very easy grilling method is to simply remove the skin befor cooking, rub a bit of oil or butter all over the chicken, and lightly season with S & P. Then you place the chicken directly over a solid bed of coals on the Webber, or onto the gas grill, cover, and cook for about 5 minutes per sidem making sure the juices run clear and that there is no pink. It is tender, tasty, and so juicy it will squirt you when you bite it.

Of course, if you like crispy skin, do the same thing with the skin on. I've been doing that for years.

And just one more thing, if you have folks in your crew that love sauces, glazes, etc. You merely brush on the sauce/glaze as soon as you remove the cooked chicken from the grill, and before it's presented at the table. You will find that the meat has picked up a better smoky flavor than if the coating was put on while the chicken was cooking. It will taste better.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 05:27 PM   #18
Senior Cook

It's good alright, Goodweed....

Right now, in Dallas, it's warm. We had a 93 degree day last week. I grill year 'round anyway, but last night was the grilled chicken thing, and it was super. If I leave the skin on, which I do most of the time, I never use a sauce. Sometimes I'll remove the skin about five minutes before it's done and slather on some Q sauce and grill a little longer. Either way, it's great grillin'.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:11 PM   #19
Master Chef

Phill, when it's 7 degrees outside at my house, it's still grillin' time. I have a 6 foot bank of snow on the west side of hte barbecue space in my front yard (with 3 feet of snow circling all around the grill space that I keep clear of snow). The bank shelters me from the prevailing west-wind and any blowing snow that might be cuising sideways through the air. I've been known to barbecue a turkey in such weather.

The only weather that will stop my Webber is a downpour. I'm not going to try and grill when the weather is putting out the fire.

And, I agree whole-heartedly with your cooking style.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 02:18 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Cold is one thing....

...and wet is a whole nuther can o' worms. You folks from the north are much more used to it than us Suth-ners are. We do have bitter cold, but it lasts only a day or two. Y'all have my respect.

Tags
None