"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 10-30-2007, 09:53 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Easy Chicken Recipes Please

Im fairly new to cooking and Im looking for easy, quick and yummy chicken recipes with step by step instructions to get me ramped up.

Things with 3 chicken breasts in a baking dish with something crunchy or a yummy sauce, and a side dish.

I just looked through the nurse erin thread and other threads and need specific recipes if anyone has, not just chicken suggestions.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:41 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

I am bumping this up because I have a vested interest in this one My wonderful wife wants to cook dinner for her family (which I love her for). She asked me what to make and i told her the best thing to do would be to ask our DC family as I know they would not let us down! Thanks guys!

Old 10-30-2007, 10:50 AM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Welcome, Mrs. GB! I wondered when I saw that user name.

Quote:
Things with 3 chicken breasts in a baking dish with something crunchy or a yummy sauce, and a side dish.
hmmmm.. chicken breasts are so easily overcooked (read dry) that I never bake them. I feel I have more control over how they come out if I have them on the stove where I can watch them. In the oven, it's too easy to walk away and a couple of minutes too long can result in .... well, BAD results.

Are you at all interested in trying to do chicken breasts on top of the stove?

OTOH, I do whole chickens in the oven all the time. That's a whole different story.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:53 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Both Epicurious and VideoJug (both .com sites) have videos showing you step by step instructions, some recipes are easy, some a bit more complex. They might be good starting places for you.

I tend to be a "throw-together" cook more than a recipe follower - short-term memory issues! I tend to forget the instruction I just read by the time I turn around to the stove! I try to break the recipe down into the intention of the step and work with that. Taste dictates a lot as to what I add in to a dish, so even if I start with a recipe, it usually has evolved into something different when served. I don't do complex dishes anymore. Keep it simple keeps me satisfied!

Here is one quickie for you though. (Preheat your oven to 180deg C -not sure of the US equivalent. Lightly grease an oven tray ready for your chicken.) Easiest thing to do with chicken breasts though is to get a freezer bag and fill it with enough breadcrumbs to sufficiently cover all the chicken but it is better to have more than less. Add to that finely grated parmesan cheese (1/3 of the volume of breadcrumbs) and a bit of ground pepper, but not too much. Crack an egg into a dish large enough to take your chicken piece (one at a time), and lightly beat it up, just enough to combine the yolk and white. With only one hand, put the chicken piece into the egg wash, turn it over and place into the bag. Shake the bag until the chicken is well coated with the cheese crumb mixture. Remove from bag and place directly onto the tray. Repeat with additional pieces. The chicken should take between 30 and 45 minutes depending on your oven and the thickness of the chicken piece. Turn the chicken over part way through. You want the juices of the chicken to run clear before serving but you also want the crumb mixture to be golden. The thinner piece of chicken, the quicker it will cook. You may prefer to use a chicken schnitzel piece instead of an actual breast, or butterfly the breast instead. Best served with a garden or Greek salad, preferably with lots of tomato or cherry tomatoes, and lightly dressed with balsamic vinegar. If you want bread as well, go for something like a herb bread which you can put in the oven a few minutes before serving.

You can also pan fry that dish, or start it in a pan and finish in the oven. The pan effect will allow for more golden crunchy crumbing, but the oven will provide a more thorough cooking of the meat. Good luck.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:03 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Hey Miss GB! It's nice to meet you! I certainly do admire you for being able to put up with Mr. GB!! You deserve a medal!! It seems he and I both married well!

Anyway, I have recipe I want to share,(simple & easy) but I will have to wait until noon to post it. Ya see I have to check with Miss Uncle Bob to make sure I am remembering it correctly.

So, I will be back later......

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:16 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

thank you all so much, i really appreciate the help. Uncle Bob, you are very funny, the Mr puts up with me too so its a match made in heaven. After all, hes been doing the cooking for the last 6 years. :)

Chef June, I am not against using the top of the stove at all. I am open to that.
I worry a lot about the chicken being too dry also.

Bilby- I will check out those sites,thank you. Your recipe looks good as well.
I also have to go back to the recipe a thousand times to reread it. Maybe after some practice I wont have to follow recipes as much. Need to build some confidence first though.

thank you all again
Old 10-30-2007, 12:23 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Location: Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my family lives.
Sorry So Late!

The easiest chicken I make is whole baked chicken witha dry rub. Your dry rub can be as simple as salt and pepper. Sage, rosemary and other aromatics work well with chicken.

Take one whole chicken and rinse under water and dry. Mix dry rub with oil or melted butter and rub inside and out. Stuffing minced garlic under the skin is really good as well.

Place on a rack or beer can stand.

Cook at 350 until the internal temp is is 180 degrees about 1.5 hours.

Serve with mashed potatoes, corn bread and sweet corn with a side salad.

Doen't get much easier than that and you can make sandwiches, Chicken salad, stock and soup with the leftovers.

Hope this helps,
Bryan
Old 10-30-2007, 12:37 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

thank you bryan- that sounds very yummy
Old 10-30-2007, 12:43 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
DRUNK CHICKEN

6-8 CHICKEN BREASTS, BONELESS AND SKINLESS
1 CAN CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP (I USE FAT FREE)
1 CAN CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP (AGAIN I USE FAT FREE)
USE THE LARGE CANS IF YOU LIKE MORE GRAVY
1 CANNISTER CHICKEN STOVE TOP STUFFING (THE CORNBREAD STUFFING IS YUMMY TOO)
YOU CAN USE THE BOXED STUFFING , JUST SPRINKLE ON THE CROUTONS AND THEN COVER THEM ON TOP WITH THE SEASONING PACK
BLUSH WINE (I USE THE CHEAPEST ONE, COMES IN A CARDBOARD MILK CONTAINER or Apple juice or chicken broth

MIX TOGETHER CREAM OF MUSHROOM AND CHICKEN SOUP AND SPREAD ONE HALF OF THE SOUP MIXTURE IN THE BOTTOM OF A 9X13 BAKING DISH

PLACE THE CHICKEN ON TOP OF THE SOUP MIXTURE

COVER THE CHICKEN BREAST WITH REMAINING HALF OF SOUP MIXTURE

COVER CHICKEN AND SOUP WITH STUFFING MIX, (I POUR ABOUT AN INCH WORTH OVER THE CHICKEN, YOU CAN POUR AS MUCH OR AS LITTLE AS YOU WANT! JUST MAKE SURE YOU CAN'T SEE ANY OF THE SOUP MIXTURE.

SATURATE STUFFING MIX WITH WINE. (MAKE SURE IT IS WELL SATURATED OR IT WILL BURN)

BAKE FOR 45 MINUTE TO ONE HOUR, UNTIL CHICKEN IS DONE. CHECK TO MAKE SURE YOUR STUFFING ISN'T BURNING, IF IT IS BROWNING TOO QUICK, COVER LOOSELY WITH FOIL

Enjoy!
I think it's great that you want

to cook for hubby and the kids!!!
Old 10-30-2007, 12:58 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

this sounds delicious, thank you. we have made something like this before but not with wine. we must try this. hubby isnt crazy about mushroom though... can you recommend another cream of soup that you think would go well with this?

Tags
None