Easy Chicken Recipes Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsGB

Assistant Cook
Im fairly new to cooking and Im looking for easy, quick and yummy chicken recipes with step by step instructions to get me ramped up.

Things with 3 chicken breasts in a baking dish with something crunchy or a yummy sauce, and a side dish.

I just looked through the nurse erin thread and other threads and need specific recipes if anyone has, not just chicken suggestions.

I am bumping this up because I have a vested interest in this one ;) My wonderful wife wants to cook dinner for her family (which I love her for). She asked me what to make and i told her the best thing to do would be to ask our DC family as I know they would not let us down! Thanks guys!

Welcome, Mrs. GB! I wondered when I saw that user name. :)

Things with 3 chicken breasts in a baking dish with something crunchy or a yummy sauce, and a side dish.
hmmmm.. chicken breasts are so easily overcooked (read dry:rolleyes:) that I never bake them. I feel I have more control over how they come out if I have them on the stove where I can watch them. In the oven, it's too easy to walk away and a couple of minutes too long can result in .... well, BAD results. :neutral:

Are you at all interested in trying to do chicken breasts on top of the stove?

OTOH, I do whole chickens in the oven all the time. That's a whole different story.

Both Epicurious and VideoJug (both .com sites) have videos showing you step by step instructions, some recipes are easy, some a bit more complex. They might be good starting places for you.

I tend to be a "throw-together" cook more than a recipe follower - short-term memory issues! I tend to forget the instruction I just read by the time I turn around to the stove! I try to break the recipe down into the intention of the step and work with that. Taste dictates a lot as to what I add in to a dish, so even if I start with a recipe, it usually has evolved into something different when served. I don't do complex dishes anymore. Keep it simple keeps me satisfied!

Here is one quickie for you though. (Preheat your oven to 180deg C -not sure of the US equivalent. Lightly grease an oven tray ready for your chicken.) Easiest thing to do with chicken breasts though is to get a freezer bag and fill it with enough breadcrumbs to sufficiently cover all the chicken but it is better to have more than less. Add to that finely grated parmesan cheese (1/3 of the volume of breadcrumbs) and a bit of ground pepper, but not too much. Crack an egg into a dish large enough to take your chicken piece (one at a time), and lightly beat it up, just enough to combine the yolk and white. With only one hand, put the chicken piece into the egg wash, turn it over and place into the bag. Shake the bag until the chicken is well coated with the cheese crumb mixture. Remove from bag and place directly onto the tray. Repeat with additional pieces. The chicken should take between 30 and 45 minutes depending on your oven and the thickness of the chicken piece. Turn the chicken over part way through. You want the juices of the chicken to run clear before serving but you also want the crumb mixture to be golden. The thinner piece of chicken, the quicker it will cook. You may prefer to use a chicken schnitzel piece instead of an actual breast, or butterfly the breast instead. Best served with a garden or Greek salad, preferably with lots of tomato or cherry tomatoes, and lightly dressed with balsamic vinegar. If you want bread as well, go for something like a herb bread which you can put in the oven a few minutes before serving.

You can also pan fry that dish, or start it in a pan and finish in the oven. The pan effect will allow for more golden crunchy crumbing, but the oven will provide a more thorough cooking of the meat. Good luck.

Hey Miss GB! It's nice to meet you! I certainly do admire you for being able to put up with Mr. GB!! You deserve a medal!! It seems he and I both married well!

Anyway, I have recipe I want to share,(simple & easy) but I will have to wait until noon to post it. Ya see I have to check with Miss Uncle Bob to make sure I am remembering it correctly. :ermm:

So, I will be back later......

thank you all so much, i really appreciate the help. Uncle Bob, you are very funny, the Mr puts up with me too so its a match made in heaven. After all, hes been doing the cooking for the last 6 years. :)

Chef June, I am not against using the top of the stove at all. I am open to that.
I worry a lot about the chicken being too dry also.

Bilby- I will check out those sites,thank you. Your recipe looks good as well.
I also have to go back to the recipe a thousand times to reread it. Maybe after some practice I wont have to follow recipes as much. Need to build some confidence first though.

thank you all again

Sorry So Late!

The easiest chicken I make is whole baked chicken witha dry rub. Your dry rub can be as simple as salt and pepper. Sage, rosemary and other aromatics work well with chicken.

Take one whole chicken and rinse under water and dry. Mix dry rub with oil or melted butter and rub inside and out. Stuffing minced garlic under the skin is really good as well.

Place on a rack or beer can stand.

Cook at 350 until the internal temp is is 180 degrees about 1.5 hours.

Serve with mashed potatoes, corn bread and sweet corn with a side salad.

Doen't get much easier than that and you can make sandwiches, Chicken salad, stock and soup with the leftovers.

Hope this helps,
Bryan

DRUNK CHICKEN

6-8 CHICKEN BREASTS, BONELESS AND SKINLESS
1 CAN CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP (I USE FAT FREE)
1 CAN CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP (AGAIN I USE FAT FREE)
USE THE LARGE CANS IF YOU LIKE MORE GRAVY
1 CANNISTER CHICKEN STOVE TOP STUFFING (THE CORNBREAD STUFFING IS YUMMY TOO)
YOU CAN USE THE BOXED STUFFING , JUST SPRINKLE ON THE CROUTONS AND THEN COVER THEM ON TOP WITH THE SEASONING PACK
BLUSH WINE (I USE THE CHEAPEST ONE, COMES IN A CARDBOARD MILK CONTAINER or Apple juice or chicken broth

MIX TOGETHER CREAM OF MUSHROOM AND CHICKEN SOUP AND SPREAD ONE HALF OF THE SOUP MIXTURE IN THE BOTTOM OF A 9X13 BAKING DISH

PLACE THE CHICKEN ON TOP OF THE SOUP MIXTURE

COVER THE CHICKEN BREAST WITH REMAINING HALF OF SOUP MIXTURE

COVER CHICKEN AND SOUP WITH STUFFING MIX, (I POUR ABOUT AN INCH WORTH OVER THE CHICKEN, YOU CAN POUR AS MUCH OR AS LITTLE AS YOU WANT! JUST MAKE SURE YOU CAN'T SEE ANY OF THE SOUP MIXTURE.

SATURATE STUFFING MIX WITH WINE. (MAKE SURE IT IS WELL SATURATED OR IT WILL BURN)

BAKE FOR 45 MINUTE TO ONE HOUR, UNTIL CHICKEN IS DONE. CHECK TO MAKE SURE YOUR STUFFING ISN'T BURNING, IF IT IS BROWNING TOO QUICK, COVER LOOSELY WITH FOIL

Enjoy!
I think it's great that you want

to cook for hubby and the kids!!!

this sounds delicious, thank you. we have made something like this before but not with wine. we must try this. hubby isnt crazy about mushroom though... can you recommend another cream of soup that you think would go well with this?

You can use another cream of chicken or cream of celery.

And I always use apple juice instead of the wine.

smiles,T

Here ya go Miss GB.........

1 Bone-in chicken breast per person.
2 Cans Cream of Mushroom soup
2 Soup Cans of Buttermilk + some for coating.
Flour
S&P (Seasonings)

Remove Skin from chicken. Brine for a couple of hours. (Optional)
Melt 3 or 4 Tablespoons of butter in a 9 X 13 baking dish
Dip each chicken breast in butter milk, then into (whatever makes you happy) seasoned flour! Place each piece of chicken in the baking dish and bake at 350* for 30 Minutes. Turn the chicken, and bake for 10-15 minutes more. Mix 2 cans of Cream of Mushroom soup with two cans of butter milk and pour over chicken. Bake for an addtional 10 minutes. Serve each breast along side fluffy white rice with gravy/sauce over all. ;)

2 cans of Soup & Buttermilk will work for about 4 or 5 servings. Ya don't want to run short of this stuff. Use 3 cans of each if in doubt.

So... easy and simple chicken with a sauce/gravy and a starch side dish!

Note: Do not serve with a few dashes of Louisiana Hot Sauce on the rice and chicken. They will want seconds, and you'll run out of food! :ermm:

Enjoy!

This is a simple chicken recipe that my mother's good friend sent me in a recipe exchange a few weeks ago. She said this is one of her crowd pleasers.

Party Chicken

Ingredients:
1 jar dried beef
8 boned chicken breast
8 slices bacon
1/2 pint sour cream
1 can cream of celery soup

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325

1. Using a paper towel dab in some butter and lightly grease a 9x13" baking casserole dish. Just enough so that nothing sticks to the bottom.

2. Line the bottom of the greased casserole dish with the dried beef.

3. Wrap each piece of chicken with a slice of bacon and set on top of the dried beef

4. In a small bowl mix together the sour cream and cream of celery soup
"You can double the sour cream and celery soup if you want more sauce"

5. Pour the sauce over the chicken

6. keep the casserole dish uncovered and put into the oven for 2 hours.

This is great served over wild rice

Chef June, I am not against using the top of the stove at all. I am open to that.
I worry a lot about the chicken being too dry also.

thank you all again

Okay then, here's my favorite chicken breast recipe, made on top the stove, and the easy-peasy Perfect Roast Chicken. Follow all the steps (numerous but easy) to the best roast chicken you've ever eaten. and No Brine! :ermm:

Chicken Breasts with Wild Mushrooms

This is one of the most impressive—and easiest—chicken dishes I know. If you can’t find wild mushrooms, try substituting the domestic variety and squeeze a little lemon juice on them as you sauté them. I can’t imagine this dish without the Crème Fraîche, but if you’re on a low cholesterol diet, leave it out. One of my good friends tried it and likes the dish just as well that way!

6 servings

3 whole chicken breasts
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
12 ounces mixed wild mushrooms, sliced (choose chanterelles, cèpes, shiitake, portobello, cremini)
3 large cloves garlic, minced
¾ cup chicken stock
3 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1/3 cup crème fraîche (see Basics)
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

1. Bone, skin and split the chicken breasts (see Basics). Put them between 2 sheets of waxed paper and pound with a cleaver, mallet or the bottom of a heavy saucepan, until each is about 1/8” thick. (Reserve the bones for stock.)
2. Pour the olive oil into a warmed sauté pan set over medium heat. Add mushrooms and sauté. Add garlic and let it soften, but do not brown.
3. Remove the mushrooms and garlic from the sauté pan and set aside.
Raise the heat. When the oil is very hot but NOT smoking, add the chicken breasts and brown quickly on both sides.
4. Return mushrooms and garlic to the pan. Add thyme and chicken stock.
Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for about 8 minutes. Remove lid and raise heat to reduce liquid in pan to about 5 tablespoons Reduce heat and add 1/3 cup crème fraîche. Do not boil. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve at once on warmed plates.

Perfect Roast Chicken

”If you can roast a chicken, you can serve 'Sunday Dinner' to ANYone ­ even the Queen of England!” That's what my mother told me when I was a little girl, and I still believe it's true. A properly roasted chicken is so easy to prepare, and always SO delicious ­ brown, crispy skin and juicy, succulent meat. And it makes the house smell SO good!
6 to 8 servings, depending upon what you serve with it

1 free-range roasting chicken (5 to 6 pounds)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
2 whole heads plump fresh garlic, unpeeled, cut in half horizontally
several sprigs of fresh rosemary
several sprigs of fresh thyme
several sprigs of fresh marjoram
several sprigs of fresh lavender greens (if you can find a plant)
1 cup cold water or white wine (to baste the chicken)

1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Start by rinsing the chicken inside and out with cold running water. Drain it well and dry inside and out with paper towels. Make a mixture of about 2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper and 1 tablespoon of coarse sea salt in a small bowl. Place the bowl alongside a shallow 9 x 14-inch roasting pan. Put the olive oil in the pan and distribute evenly. You will also need a 3-foot length of kitchen string.
2. Put the chicken into the pan and turn to coat well with the olive oil. Season it generously, inside and out with salt and pepper. Put about half of the herbs inside the cavity. Truss with string.
3. Place the chicken on its side in the pan. Put the halved garlic heads (cut side up) and the remainder of the herbs into the pan alongside the chicken. Place the pan on a rack in the center of the oven and roast, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Baste the chicken with the water and roast for another 25 minutes. Baste again ­ this time with the juices in the pan— turn the chicken to the other side, and repeat the process. This will take a total of 90 minutes roasting time. By this time the skin should be a deep golden color. Test to see if the juices run clear when you pierce a thigh with the point of a knife.
4. Remove the pan from the oven and transfer the chicken to a platter on which you have placed an overturned salad plate. Place the chicken at an angle against the edge of the plate with its tail in the air. (This retains moisture because the juices flow down through the breast meat.) Cover the chicken loosely with foil. Let it rest for at least 10 minutes or up to 30 minutes. The chicken will continue to cook as it rests. Reserve the roasted garlic to serve with the chicken.
5. To prepare a sauce, remove the herbs from the pan and skim as much fat as possible from the pan juices. Place the roasting pan over medium heat and scrape up any brown bits that cling to the bottom. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, scraping and stirring until the liquid is almost caramelized. Do not let it burn. Spoon off and discard any excess fat. Add several tablespoons cold water to deglaze (hot water would cloud the sauce), and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes.
6. While the sauce is cooking, carve the chicken and arrange it on a warmed serving platter along with the garlic.
7. Strain the sauce through a fine-mesh sieve and pour into a sauceboat.
Serve immediately with the chicken and the halved heads of garlic.

Wine Tip: Serve a silky, fragrant red wine with this dish, such as a Volnay from Burgundy, or a Pinot Noir from Oregon's Willamette Valley.

Last edited:
This is the simple version of Roman Chicken. The recipe Giada DeLaurentis uses is WAY too complicated!

POLLO ROMANO

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 ounces pancetta (or bacon), finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 (3 1/2 to 4 pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 (16-ounce) can diced tomatoes and the juice
2 green bell peppers, seeded and cut into strips
2 red bell peppers, seeded and cut into strips
Salt and pepper

In a 5 or 6 quart saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and cook slowly to render the fat. Remove all but 4 tablespoons of the fat-oil mixture from the pan and add the garlic and chicken, cooking until chicken and garlic begin to brown. Add the wine and cook 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and peppers, season with salt and pepper to taste and simmer, uncovered, 45 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.

This is one of my favorite cold-weather dinners.

Skillet Herb-Roasted Chicken

Ingredients:

1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. ground dried sage leaves
1/2 tsp. crushed dried thyme leaves
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts or 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
1 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup water
4 cups hot cooked rice

Mix flour, sage and thyme in a shallow bowl. Dredge chicken with flour mixture.

Heat butter and oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and brown well on both sides, about 3 minutes per side.

Mix soup and water. Push chicken to one side of the skillet and add the soup/water mixture. Scrape up browned bits in bottom of pan. Place chicken evenly around the pan again and spoon sauce over chicken; simmer for 15 minutes or till chicken is cooked through. Serve sauce over chicken with rice. Serves 4.

{{{{{{MrsGB}}}}}}

Soak the chicken breasts for 3 days in buttermilk.
Remove from buttermilk.
Marinate in equal parts pineapple juice, teriyaki sauce, and white wine (if you don't have teriyaki use soy sauce, a bit of sesame oil, and some brown sugar) for 24 hours. Oh, you can toss in a bit of fresh garlic and fresh ginger if you want to.

Brown in skillet then finish in 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes. Just slit one to check for doneness (let rest first for about 5 minutes before checking though - this will allow the juices to soak back into the chicken and not spill out, leaving the chicken dry).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Use pretty much equal parts white vinegar and soy sauce along with a bay leaf, some whole peppercorns, and about 4 smooshed whole cloves of garlic. Just make sure there is enough liquid to almost cover chicken - turn chicken over halfway if need be. Bone in makes the juiciest chicken for this dish. Once done brown chicken in skillet - use sauce over rice or a lo mein-type noodle. Top with chopped spring onions (green part) and a sprinkling of sesame seeds and if you like the taste, which I do, another drizzle of sesame oil.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My son's favorite:

Take chicken pieces and coat with French's mustard - sprinkle with paprika, bake until done.

Hi Mrs GB! Imagine meeting you here...

Here is a super-cinchy recipe my kids loved when they were Rachel's age... and they still do...

Brown boneless skinless recipes in a little olive oil. Add one envelope of chicken noodle soup mix and enough water to make a gravy, about 1/2 a cup. Adjust as necessary. Cook until the chicken juices run clear (just press the fattest one with a fork and watch), about 15-20 minutes, depending on how long you let them brown. Or just cut one open and make sure it's not pink.

That's it! There are endless variations of this... sometimes I would throw in some veggies to make a one-dish meal. Sometimes I would season the oil with garlic and/or onions before putting in the chix boobs. Sometimes I would season the chix first. But do NOT add more salt... there is plenty in the soup!

XO to my favorite grand niece and neph!

Aunty M

Easy Chicken and Rice

3 lb. whole frying chicken
1 c. brown rice
2 c. water
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 T. butter
3 T. parsley
1/4 t. pepper

optionals:
1/2 c. chopped onions, celery, green peppers, nuts, unsweetened pineapple

Place rice, water, salt, butter and parsley in a 4 quart casserole. Stir and bring to a boil. Salt and pepper the chicken. Lay chicken on top of the rice. Lower heat to simmer, cover tightly and cook 45 to 60 minutes, until water is absorbed and chicken is tender. If using the optional, saute veggies and add to rice before serving.

This recipe comes from my absolute favorite cookbook, Whole Foods for the Whole Family. I recently looked online for this book and Amazon.com was asking about $60:ohmy:. The price is about $19. to purchase it directly from the authors, the La Leche League's website.
LLLI | Nutrition

Good luck!

Quick & Easy Cheesy Chicken & Rice Casserole

1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 1/3 cups water
3/4 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
2 cups mixed vegetables
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
4 boneless chicken breast halves
1/2 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese

Combine soup, water, rice, vegetables and onion powder in a 12″x8″ shallow baking dish.
Top with chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cover.
Bake at 375 degrees F for 45 minutes or until cooked. Top with cheese.
4 Servings

Back
Top Bottom