"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Old 11-04-2009, 08:46 AM   #11
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I doubt I've ever roasted two chickens exactly alike....

Agreed, Dillbert. I have, but not too often since I stopped "cooking for money."

One of my more popular roast chickens uses oranges (rather than lemons) both inside and the juice as a basting liquid. The resulting "pan sauce" is incredible over angel hair pasta.

Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:46 AM   #12
Head Chef
Don't forget that dry rubs are superb on roasted chicken too!

Lift that skin, and put your seasonings underneath too.....
especially if you don't eat the skin!

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:16 AM   #13
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by Dillbert View Post
when I have the time I like to start the roasting at 325'F - takes longer but methinks makes for moister / juicier birds. in the last few minutes I jack up the temp to 375-400'F to get a brown&crispy skin.
I like this method, I love rotisserie chicken but I know I can't get that result from roasting in the oven...if I use this method, lower temp, how long does it take, and what temp should the meat be when I jack it up to a higher temp?
jennifer75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:35 AM   #14
Master Chef
Another easy, but somewhat exotic, roast chicken:

Stuff the cavity of the bird with one lemon, halved, and broken up (but not necesssarily peeled) cloves of garlic. An entire head, believe it or not, it will mellow in the roasting. If the bird is skinny, as some times free range ones can be (if anything most of the birds I buy are too fatty), then oil the exterior with olive oil. Roast according to your basic instructions in almost any basic cookbook, that is to say about what June said, 375 for about an hour for an average sized bird. If you are a newby, I cannot recommend more the advantage of a good meat thermometer. I learned to cook without one and don't know how I did it! Anyway, your bird will come out redolent of the lemon and garlic, and it gives it a sort of mediterranean or Morrocan feel, so is wonderful with couscous (Near East makes many that only require the addition of boiling water or stock), taboule (ditto), and a simple salad or green vegetable.

When I have fresh herbs in season, I add a branch of whatever calls to me from the garden (or in winter, in my kitchen pots), also in the cavity of the bird.

I say bird rather than chicken because I've done this with small turkeys down to Cornish game hens (the turkeys need two lemons, the game hens a half, and again, use timing/temps from any basic roast bird recipe).

When you carve the bird, I toss away the lemon and any branches of herbs, but pinch the garlic out of its skin and let people "spread" it on bread if they so desire.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:49 PM   #15
>> rotisserie chicken

you can get close, but it's not an exact match. without rotating the bird, the bottom does not get the 'radiant heat' effect for crisping - putting it on a rack is essential tho.

roasting at 325'F adds mebbe 25-30 minutes to a 4 lb-ish bird.
it also depends on how the bird has been 'handled' / stored immediately prior to roasting. I never freeze a whole chicken - perhaps I shop more often than others but I just haven't had the need or urge. the other day I did one, brought it home "fresh" & left it on the counter while I put away the groceries and preheated the oven. it finished early [g] - and sometimes if you get a batch right out of the store cold locker you'll still find ice crystals in the cavity - so 'how cold was the bird when you started' plays a more significant role at lower temps.

another trick I use is: when the bird is essentially done - I use 160'F right next to the rib cage (unstuffed) - I pull it out of the oven while the temp comes up to 400'F - that avoids the top oven element from getting things too toasty. then put it back in the oven to crisp the skin - typically takes 10 minutes or so - I set the timer for 8 minutes and then watch it using the Mark I eyeball....

the citrus / herbs / etc all can add to taste and they're all good recipes/ideas - but as I mentioned earlier there is a bit of 'technique' to crispy roast chicken regardless of 'recipe'

I never use the pop-up things - I always use a probe thermometer to check temps 1/2 inch off and right down to the rib cage.
Dillbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #16
Head Chef
Originally Posted by jennifer75 View Post
I have never roasted a chicken, and with cooler weather LOL on the horizon, I'd like to start. However, I've got no clue as to what I should rub/saturate/sprinkle it with.

Butter, salt, pepper... inside and out... hard to beat...

Jeff G. is offline   Reply With Quote