"Faux" Gras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can tell by the name, assuming the product is accurately named. Paté de foie gras is goose liver paté made with force fed goose liver. Paté translates to paste, foie is goose liver and gras means fat or big.

Foie gras is just the fattened goose liver, which can be cooked up on its own for a delectable appetizer.

BTW, force fed duck liver is sometimes sold as foie gras too.

Oooh so you can tell.... ya think it changes the flavor?

I don't care what the laws are or where it comes from. Foie Gras is on my top 10 list of favorite foods!

As a kid my Mum raised Geese and Ducks, unlike chicken they will not thrive and produce eggs in an enclosed cage(for those with qualms about F/G I hope you only eat free range chicken products ie the livers for faux gras),I was given the most dangerous job feeding the geese.The difficult part was stopping the dominant birds hogging the food.Geese are vicious and will eat as much as you can put in front of them, if they could speak the battle cry would be "SUPER SIZE ME".
I repeat I have visited F/G farms, these are not the concentration camps for chickens that exist in both our countries us to produce the large amount of eggs for our food industries.They are nurtured because of the value of the liver.
I will only eat non crated rose veal,how many states in the US have banned this practice?

Wikipedia is NOT the ultimate authority for much of anything. Anyone can post "facts" there.

If you want some authentic information try the Hudson Valley Foie Gras web site (click on the title.)

I find that Wiki is a GREAT place to *start* research on almost any topic. It will provide enough information to give direction to any remaining research I wish to do.

I think Wikipedia is a fantastic service. It's almost unbelievably huge. In another ten years, I think it will be the largest database of information on the planet.

The information in it is verified. Try posting some nonsense on it and see what happens to your post. I tried once and my post never even appeared. It was canceled prior to being put on the page, so I have to disagree with your statement that "Anyone can post "facts" there." It's true only if the facts are really true facts. Anything you find on Wiki that isn't true, you can report easily and it will be removed promptly.

Wikipedia is NOT the ultimate authority for much of anything. Anyone can post "facts" there.

If you want some authentic information try the Hudson Valley Foie Gras web site (click on the title.)

A commercial website is more authentic?

Interesting link. I suspect that force feeding ducks and geese can be either humane or cruel.

From the Hudson Valley Foie Gras website: "Our trained caretakers spend four times as much caring for each animal as is the case in other foie gras farms."

There's obviously variation in how it is done.

I have certainly read, other than on Wikipedia, that force feeding is a requirement for calling it "foie gras" in France.

I was listening to a story on NPR a week ago where they were talking to a chef in Spain who has figured out how to get the geese to overeat on their own without force feeding them. He claims that geese naturally overeat if left to their own devices. The trick is that the geese must think they are free and not captive. This means no fences, not feeding bins, not indoor facilities and lots of loss to natural preditores. the chef (I forget his name) has won awards for his foie gras. An American chef heard of this and flew to Spain to learn his techniques. He has tried to recreate this in the states, but without luck so far.

Wow! And I was only trying to give everyone a recipe that they could make at home. Foie Gras isn't even available anywhere close to where I live, legal or illegal; and so I make my chicken liver pate' as a way to get some "good eats" on my table.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I was listening to a story on NPR a week ago where they were talking to a chef in Spain who has figured out how to get the geese to overeat on their own without force feeding them. He claims that geese naturally overeat if left to their own devices. The trick is that the geese must think they are free and not captive. This means no fences, not feeding bins, not indoor facilities and lots of loss to natural preditores. the chef (I forget his name) has won awards for his foie gras. An American chef heard of this and flew to Spain to learn his techniques. He has tried to recreate this in the states, but without luck so far.
Here is a link to the audio story for anyone interested. It is worth the listen.

Act Three. Latin Liver. | Poultry Slam 2011 | This American Life

Wow! And I was only trying to give everyone a recipe that they could make at home. Foie Gras isn't even available anywhere close to where I live, legal or illegal; and so I make my chicken liver pate' as a way to get some "good eats" on my table.

And good eats it is too, CLN. Chicken Liver Pate is one of my favorite snack foods. Some Ritz, some cheese and CLP and I'm a happy camper.

To that pate' recipe at the beginning of this thread, add 1/8 tsp. ground ginger. It takes the flavor to a whole new, and delicious level.:mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom