"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 01-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #31
Executive Chef

I think it's liver products made from the livers of geese that were force fed that was banned, not livers from normally fed geese.

I was thinking that starting out with ordinary goose livers might be good for this recipe, but the livers would probably be pretty expensive (compared to chicken livers) and it's hard enough to find geese in markets anyway. IIRC I've never seen anything but whole geese at local supermarkets and butchers.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #32
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I think they actually put a funnel down it's neck and push food into it.

The gooses body, in responce to its massive over eating, grows a over-large liver.

Who was the person who figured that out? "Oh, I think I'll stick a funnel down this gooses neck and feed it 20 times it's normal amount per/day"

Weird.

THat's the first I've heard of that. LOL, poor geese. So why not outlaw the force feeding? Why outlaw pate? I'm gonna have to google this..lol.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusnikki View Post
So why not outlaw the force feeding? Why outlaw pate?
If you outlaw the practice of force feeding you have to enforce it at the source. Good luck US trying to enforce US laws in EU. (I'm imagining US special forces parachuting into French farms that raise geese.)

By outlawing the product the law can be enforced at the US border, or border of other jurisdiction having the law.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Checked Wikipedia, force feeding is the law in France for true foie gras. If they do it differently, they have to call it something else.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusnikki View Post
THat's the first I've heard of that. LOL, poor geese. So why not outlaw the force feeding? Why outlaw pate? I'm gonna have to google this..lol.
I guess there is no way to tell by the pate itself if forced-feeding was performed.

Your new hairstyle is nice, Nikki. You old one was very nice too. It makes no difference what beautiful women do to their hair; it always looks great!
Old 01-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #36
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
I guess there is no way to tell by the pate itself if forced-feeding was performed.

Your new hairstyle is nice, Nikki. You old one was very nice too. It makes no difference what beautiful women do to their hair; it always looks great!

You can tell by the name, assuming the product is accurately named. Paté de foie gras is goose liver paté made with force fed goose liver. Paté translates to paste, foie is goose liver and gras means fat or big.

Foie gras is just the fattened goose liver, which can be cooked up on its own for a delectable appetizer.

BTW, force fed duck liver is sometimes sold as foie gras too.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You can tell by the name, assuming the product is accurately named. Paté de fois gras is goose liver paté made with force fed goose liver. Paté translates to paste, fois is goose liver and gras means fat or big.

Fois gras is just the fattened goose liver, which can be cooked up on its own for a delectable appetizer.

BTW, force fed duck liver is sometimes sold as fois gras too.
Thanks Andy. That's very informative. I flunked high school French.

Mercy Bucket Mon Sewer! See what I mean?
Old 01-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #38
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Thanks Andy. That's very informative. I flunked high school French.

Mercy Bucket Mon Sewer! See what I mean?
You're welcome.

I had no problem understanding that.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Checked Wikipedia, force feeding is the law in France for true foie gras. If they do it differently, they have to call it something else.
That's ironic that the French have laws requiring it, while some/many US states have laws forbidding it.

I forgot what the Europeans call it, but I guess like Champagne must be from grapes grown in that region of France, or otherwise it has to be called sparkling wine. However California can produce and market Champagne, but obviously can't be sold in EU unless perhaps they relabel it.

They can probably do it in EU without force feeding as long as they call it something else, maybe liver paste made from free range ducks.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #40
Head Chef

Quote:

Awww thank ya Tim... Yea I guess you couldn't look at the pate and say, "this goose was force fed"...lolol. But I do feel sorry for the birds.. You know how you feel when you over eat...I bet that's how they feel...

Tags
butter, chicken liver, onion, recipe, seasonings

"Faux" Gras Foie Gras has been outlawed in many states in the U.S. But here is a recipe that attempt to recreate the rich, buttery texture, and great flavor, without force feeding any foul. Chicken Liver Pate: Ingredients: 1 lb. fresh chicken livers Salt Black pepper 1 tsp. ground Thyme 1/4 cup diced onion 1 stick salted butter 1/2 tsp. sugar 1/2 tsp. granulated garlic Chicken broth Place the chicken livers into a sauce pot and cover with water. Bring water to a boil, and cook for about fifteen minutes, or until the chicken livers are just done through. Saute onion in a little butter until tender. Place into a blender. Remove the livers from the liquid and place into the same blender. Blend while adding just enough chicken broth to get the mixture moving in the blender. Add the butter. Blend until silky smooth. Empty the water from the sauce pan used to cook the livers. Remove the blended chicken lkivers from the blender and place into the sauce pan over medium heat. Add the garlic, and thyme and stir in. Let the mixure cook for five minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste, a little at a time. Cook over low heat until most of the moiture has steamed out (about five to ten minutes more). Remove the pate' from the pan and into a bowl with a tite fitting lid. Chill until cold. Serve with crackers or toast points. Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North 3 stars 1 reviews