"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 11-06-2007, 04:43 PM   #21
Head Chef

I never really look for a brand name bird, but I do buy the so called "fresh" turkeys (you know the semi froze ones). I buy those because I'm too disorganized to remember to thaw out the truely frozen birds in time to cook them for T-day dinner. That being said, I don't ever remember being dissatisfied with any of the brands that I bought. We usually do 4 turkeys in the 12lb to 14lb range. One "traditional" roast, two deep fried and one smoked. All have turned out well.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:41 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

Brand probably doesn't matter as much as the method you choose to cook your bird. You are going to get different tastes on all tech different types of methods. I agree that Smoking is probably the most traditional recipe according to history since ovens weren't always around...:-p, but I meant traditional as in what your family practiced growing up.

Was that the traditional recipe your family practiced...smoking the turkey as you were growing up?

Has anyone ever tasted a turkey using the high heat recipe?

Old 11-15-2007, 10:34 AM   #23
Assistant Cook

I talked to a guy reasently that told me he does it the real traditional way (native american way) which is to hunt the turkey, clean the turkey out, Then without plucking it he wraps it with clay and makes a clay ball out of it. Then wses a stick to make vent holes for steem releas and puts the whole thing into a fire. After the vent holes steem for a while he then removes the bird from the fire and takes the clay off thus the fethers stick to the clay removing the fethers from the body. Sounds like alot of work to me!
Old 11-15-2007, 03:29 PM   #24
Master Chef

Unfortunately, not only the feathers would come off with the clay - most likely all the skin would too. And for me all that buttery crispy skin is one of the very best parts of the bird!!!

A former "mountain man" neighbor of mine claimed he used to bake woodchucks using a method like that, & the whole point was that when cracked out of the clay, all the skin & fatty deposits would be left behind.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:20 PM   #25
Senior Cook

Used to buy whatever was cheap at the the time. Until I tasted one I got from my friend who raises them !
Oh boy!
Not only free range, she puts them on a special diet for a few weeks, corn, chestnuts (if I remember correctly) and some protein rich something that I do not remember.
Well! These are just unbelievably delicious!
She promised me one for this year too.
(I don't know, tomorrow I'm going to her place, she has 7 wild bores she raised to butcher and one of them is mine.Maybe no turkey after that?)

She has a tom about 5 years old, beautiful creature!
His feathers are mostly sky blue color!
Old 11-17-2007, 11:45 AM   #26
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Normally, I just get whatever the supermarket is giving away free with a mimimum purchase, but last year I had a special guest for Thanksgiving dinner, so I bought a fresh Honeysuckle White from Smart & Final and stuck the free turkery from the supermarket in the deep freeze and cooked it up for "Thanksgivng in July."
Old 11-17-2007, 12:11 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

caine, i do the same thing with the free turkeys. i have yet to be disappointed with one. we actually like them better than butterballs, and are far better than the empire brand kosher turkey that we've had before. the boids we've bought that were freshly killed and cleaned at a farm market were only slightly better.

a few years ago before we were married, my wife and i qualified for 3 free turkeys in 2 supermarkets. 1 was cooked for thanksgibbing, the others went into freezers for february and may dinners. i guess they were a valentine's day turkey and mother's day turkey.

i just picked up our free turkey for this year; a 19 lb sucker, store brand (shop right). it was supposed to go into a freezer but now our plans to go to my parents' are off , so it's in the fridge to defrost for thursday.
i guess the silver lining is that there'll be leftovers.

how long would a frozen solid 19lb. turkey take to defrost in a fridge? i hope it's not too early.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:18 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
Normally, I just get whatever the supermarket is giving away free with a mimimum purchase, but last year I had a special guest for Thanksgiving dinner, so I bought a fresh Honeysuckle White from Smart & Final and stuck the free turkery from the supermarket in the deep freeze and cooked it up for "Thanksgivng in July."
Whats the word on the Honeysuckle brand?That what I bought it came at $7.99 for up to a 16 lbs bird I also got a Safeway brand called Manor House for $4.99 up to 16 lbs
Old 11-17-2007, 05:10 PM   #29
Senior Cook

My favorite "brand" of turkey is Diestel (Diestel Family Turkey Ranch).

Though it's not really a brand. It's fresh turkeys. You place an order @ 3 bucks a pound, they kill/pluck/gut the bird and hand it over to you. Yeah, OK...it's 60 bucks for a 20 pound bird as opposed to the 17 I could buy one at the store for, but the taste is noticeably better.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:56 PM   #30
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
Whats the word on the Honeysuckle brand?That what I bought it came at $7.99 for up to a 16 lbs bird I also got a Safeway brand called Manor House for $4.99 up to 16 lbs
The fresh Honeysuckle White was an excellent bird, but this year I'll probably go with Manor House or Butterball at 48 a pound from Von's because my boss gave me a $25.00 Safeway gift card. In fact, seeing there is nobody special this year, I was thinking I just might buy their prepared Thanksgiving dinner, which includes a fully cooked 12 lb Butterball turkey, and then pick up a minimum purchase frozen turkey for use sometime next year.

Tags
None