"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 11-19-2007, 01:55 PM   #31
Assistant Cook

That $25 Safeway gift card will come in handy to buying all the supplies needed for that cookingThanksgiving dinner, unless you decide to skip cooking....:-p. I've never tried a pre-made turkey. Have you heard news that they are good at all?

Old 11-22-2007, 05:32 PM   #32
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
The precooked turkeys are pretty good. They're Butterballs, and they come from the factory fully cooked and frozen, so even Safeway can't screw them up. But I decided to get their Spiral sliced ham this year instead. I've never NOT had turkey for Thanksgiving in my entire life, so this will be something completely different. When I was in the Army, they always made sure we got a turkey dinner, even in a combat zone, and when I was living all by myself in a studio apartment in Phoenix, I still managed to cook up a turkey leg, Betty Crocker mashed potatoes, Franco-American gravy, and some kind of vegetable.

What I ended up getting with the $25.00 gift card was:
  • Two frozen pizzas (Safeway brand, $3.99 each)
  • 8 bottles of Propel (Buy 3, get 1 free)
  • 4 sweet potatoes (2 pounds for a dollar)
  • 4 cans of Progresso soup (4 for $5.00)
  • 4 12-packs of Coke Zero (Buy 2, get 2 free)

Old 11-23-2007, 07:36 AM   #33
Executive Chef

The fresh Round Hill brand from Pilgrim's Pride that we had this year was one of the tastiest I've eaten in the past 20 years.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:30 AM   #34
Executive Chef

Believe This?

Last night, very late, I heard on radio news that a brother and sister each year have bet as to who can prepare the largest bird. This year the brother won. He had 72 lb. turkey! The sister said she could never have gotten that big of bird in her oven. Wonder how he did! Hear the crazy stories around holidays. Hope your Thanksgiving was good. We sure can be thankful we have something to eat.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:36 PM   #35
Assistant Cook

Thanksgiving was great! The 2-hour turkey worked out nicely. Believe it or not, we went thru 2 turkeys and 2 hams with very little left overs! So I feel you on the desire for ham! We actually had to hide some turkey so we could have left overs for ourselves!

Hope everyone's T-day was great as well. :-)
Old 11-27-2007, 02:27 AM   #36
Senior Cook

Whatever's on sale at Save-A-Lot or K-Mart. I've yet to get burned by the bird.

My own mistakes while cooking it, OTOH...

I tried smoking a 14-pound Honeysuckle White this year... Ended up with a big cold spot in the middle. So while the ladies feasted on dark meat, my father risked salmonella on a partly-cooked breast, and after carving off all I could, I shoved the bare carcass into a hot oven and spent the evening picking meat off the bones.

Please note that this account of turkey day 2007 completely glosses over the triple homocide I was nearly driven to in the process.

Slicing the partially-raw breasts into "turkey steaks" and grilling them on Saturday left them a bit dry, but OMG, the flavor! Smoky, spicy, bacony, savory, a little bit sweet...

Next time, I'm quartering the bird first!
Old 11-27-2007, 02:41 AM   #37
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post
The sister said she could never have gotten that big of bird in her oven.
Well, you don't NEED an oven, if you've got a shovel...

Old 11-27-2007, 02:49 AM   #38
Cook

I am curious to find out what brand of turkey that was he cooked that was 72 lbs. I use
to work for loveless ranches years ago and they had toms that would be close to 100lbs.
and I did`nt know anyone else had birds that big. because there`s were a special breed.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:54 AM   #39
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjimbray View Post
I am curious to find out what brand of turkey that was he cooked that was 72 lbs. I use
to work for loveless ranches years ago and they had toms that would be close to 100lbs.
and I did`nt know anyone else had birds that big. because there`s were a special breed.
I would think you'd have to go to the rancher or shoot a wild tom yourself to get one that big... What store would take a bird that size?

Unless perhaps there's some distribution network for giant turkeys to be served for sheer impressiveness at celebratory/corporate/diplomatic functions. Hmm...
Old 11-27-2007, 05:24 AM   #40
Sous Chef

I keep my turkey very plain...a little butter and some poultry seasoning...so I can taste the difference between brands. The past several I have cooked have been Honeysuckle but this year for Thanksgiving I tried Butterball and was very disappointed. There was almost no turkey flavor, though it did stay very moist and only took an hour and a half to cook a 10lb bird. I would like to find an organic farm and see how those taste...maybe next time!

Tags
None