"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 06-01-2015, 02:35 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Question Filled rolled chicken breast or thigh

I want to make a rolled filled breast or thigh, anyone want to share their filling recipe?

Old 06-01-2015, 03:14 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

One of our favorites is spinach and feta cooked with stock, shallots and bread crumbs.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:25 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I don't do roll ups with chicken breasts, but I do make a pocket with a pairing knife. I have made stuffing as I would for a whole bird and I have stuffed them with prosciutto, fresh mozzarella slices and fresh basil leaves. The secret is keeping the opening as small as possible. I use the same technique for thick pork chops, stuffing with a German style apple based stuffing.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:09 PM   #4
Master Chef

I like finally chopped and sauteed onions and mushrooms filling, actually cheese addition would be great too. I usually pound out white meat thin. Spread the filling and then roll. Dredge in flour, fry on all sides for a just few minutes, and the finish in the oven.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:18 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I like Stovetop Stuffing low sodium chicken stuffing with a bit of sauteed celery added.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:32 PM   #6
Master Chef

Don't get hung up on a recipe think of it as a process, you will be able to look at the odds and ends in the refrigerator and see many possible combinations.

A slice of deli ham or chopped ham bits and cheese.

Any of the toppings that you would put onto a pizza can be stuffed into a chicken breast.

Kale, broccoli, spinach and some type of melting cheese.

A small amount of traditional bread stuffing made from bread crumbs, butter, celery, onions, etc...

You can also stuff a boneless turkey thigh to make a small roast for two people.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:34 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
We tried something last night that my brother had recommended. I trust him because he's an awesome cook.

Pound chicken breasts thinish, then spread with a mixture of cream cheese, shredded pepper-jack cheese and minced green onions. Roll up, long side first, and wrap in strips of bacon. Bake for about 30 minutes in a 375F oven. If necessary, put under the broiler for a few minutes to crisp bacon a bit before serving.

I didn't have to do the last step because I baked them in our toaster oven and I think the bacon crisped because the food was closer to the heating element than would be the case in a traditional stove oven.

They were great. I was a little concerned that there was no salt added but the cheese and bacon added enough for our taste.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:32 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Katie, I can see that with chicken thighs. I don't eat white meat from fowl. And I am not a really big fan of pepper jack cheese. I think I would prefer a stronger cheese similar to Asiago. Mmmm! Cream cheese with Asiago. And the chopped spring onions is just frosting on the cake. When I told Pirate about it, he wants me to make it this week. I have his mouth watering.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:04 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
We tried something last night that my brother had recommended. I trust him because he's an awesome cook.

Pound chicken breasts thinish, then spread with a mixture of cream cheese, shredded pepper-jack cheese and minced green onions. Roll up, long side first, and wrap in strips of bacon. Bake for about 30 minutes in a 375F oven. If necessary, put under the broiler for a few minutes to crisp bacon a bit before serving.

I didn't have to do the last step because I baked them in our toaster oven and I think the bacon crisped because the food was closer to the heating element than would be the case in a traditional stove oven.

They were great. I was a little concerned that there was no salt added but the cheese and bacon added enough for our taste.
That sounds good. I'd add a half of a seeded jalapeño to each one too - chicken stuffed with a jalapeño popper.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:37 PM   #10
Master Chef

There's some really good sounding ideas here.

Tags
chicken, chicken breast