"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 11-19-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Foods of Other Cultures

I know that other cultures around the world make sure they don't waste anything on an animal. Like the saying goes, "Every part of the pig except the squeal."

But today I was watching a show on 18th Century cooking. And he was making "Stuffed Roosters Combs." Watching him eat the combs was bad enough. But it was what he made the stuffing with that I had a problem with. He used part of the chicken that I doubt I will ever eat. Starting with the feet and ending with the beef cowl with other ingredients in between that my stomach began to churn. I always thought I had a strong stomach. But I guess I was wrong. I am so glad I wasn't around in the 18th century. I would have starved to death.

I have never watched the Survivor show. But I understand that there are times when they have to catch bugs and other creatures of the land for their food. No thanks. I will pass. On the food and the show. I also can't watch the man that goes around the world eating bizarre foods. I guess I am spoiled. Simple foods will be fine for me. I will stay right here in America. And I am one who can watch a surgery with all the blood and gore and be fascinated.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
Master Chef

There is no accounting for taste said the old woman as she kissed the cow.

The first guy to eat a lobster or an oyster must have been awful hungry.

If we were the last people in line at the first chicken BBQ we might have been glad to get the comb or anything else.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

What kind of tissue is in the comb? I was reading about ways to help keep the chickens getting frostbite on their combs this winter (vaseline massaged into the combs). I don't think I would eat the combs (or the feet). But, different strokes for different folks.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
What kind of tissue is in the comb? I was reading about ways to help keep the chickens getting frostbite on their combs this winter (vaseline massaged into the combs). I don't think I would eat the combs (or the feet). But, different strokes for different folks.
The chef referred to the combs as 'meat.' He slit them on the bottom and then stuffed them. I will pass, but thank you chef
Old 11-20-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
The trick is to get chickens that were bred for cold environments. They have much shorter combs and waddles. Silver Laced Wyandottes, Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rocks... And of course to have the right number of birds for your chicken coop unless you want to burn a lightbulb for them.

Addie, I'm not sure if you were asking for feedback on the stuffed combs or just starting a general conversation, but there are certain preparations of foods (and non-preparation too I guess), that I have no desire to try. I would just as soon use the comb of a rooster to try to catch something bigger
Old 11-20-2011, 02:46 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I hear ya pacanis. My original post was just a comment on food that I would never try. After seeing that comb episode, I am so grateful that I live in the USA.

When I lived in Texas, we bought a two month old heifer and a piglet. When they reach the proper weight, we called the slaughter truck. When he was done he asked me, "Do you want the liver, kidneys, etc." I said "No" to everything except the meat and the beef liver. He was quite happy to take all the innards and parts that I didn't want. I got a reduced price for his services because he could sell the parts I didn't want to a Mexican family. He made a hefty profit from selling them. I am not much of a connoisseur when it comes to eating foods that didn't grow up with.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:55 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Someone I worked with sold a cow to a family from waaaay east of here. He said that about two dozen people showed up, built a fire (with his permission), had themselves a little picnic while they butchered the cow and he said that the parts they did not save/keep could be fit in a jar, which they buried on his property. I still remember that story.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:21 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I selected winter-hardy breeds, but would never think of eating the combs...but then, my chickens probably will never see the inside of a stew pot...
Old 11-20-2011, 03:39 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
I selected winter-hardy breeds, but would never think of eating the combs...but then, my chickens probably will never see the inside of a stew pot...
Nor should they! Oh, the horror!
Old 11-20-2011, 05:43 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I suppose they all have names ala Green Acres! (Just teasing!)

Tags
other