Fowl, breast up or down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pmeheran

Senior Cook
Here I go again. I don't really have a lot of patience for complex involved recipes. I learned from a nice jewish lady years ago, that the easiest way to have a juicy breast in my turkey or chicken is to simply cook it breast down. I tried it and lo and behold, it worked! You don't get crisp skin, but who gives a damn in this day and age. It works really well if you butterfly it and grill it over a pan of water, the steam keeps the bird somewhat more moist. Coming from german parentage, I don't care how the food looks, only how it tastes and maybe the texture. Leave appearance to the french and italians. Sorry folks, I just read on another forum how much they worried about dry breasts and crisp skin. Breast down forever!!!!!!

I start my fowl breast side down, and then I flip when the temp is 130, return it to the oven breast-side up, and cook at about 325-350 for about 45 minutes (for turkey) until the temp is 160. It works every time for me. Unfortunately, I am not going to be in charge of cooking the turkey tomorrow, so it won't get cooked this way...and it will be dry, hence the reason I'll need to do something with the leftovers because I hate dry turkey...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom