"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 03-27-2015, 04:17 PM   #1
Cook

Freezing Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts?

OK, so my local Sprouts has boneless, skinless chicken breasts on sale for 1.69 per pound.

I eat a lot of those, and I'd like to stock up. I'm thinking I want to buy a bunch of them, and freeze them, but I have some questions.

First, everything I see on freezing chicken breasts has me using plastic, and ziplock bags. I hate the waste of that. I was wondering if I could use Tupperware containers? If not, is there a way to do it that doesn't involve putting so much non-recyclable plastic into the landfill?

Second, how long will they keep in the freezer?

Thanks,

Old 03-27-2015, 04:26 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I wrap the individual breasts in waxed paper. Then I freeze them individually and drop them into a zip lock bag. That way they are easy to remove one at a time. As long as nothing leaks into that zip lock bag, I reuse it. The meat hasn't touched the inside of the bag. It won't keep as long this way as if the individual pieces are vacuum sealed. They will get freezer burned after a while. I don't remember how long.

If they get a little bit freezer burned, I use them in something with a lot of sauce or in soup. If they get badly freezer burned, I add them to the pot when I am making chicken stock. Or, I cut off the badly freezer burned bits and add them to the stock pot.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:32 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Sean, I have a confession to make. I just freeze the chicken breasts in the store packaging with the plastic wrap and styrofoam tray. I defrost them for a few minutes in the microwave, and whack them up while they're still partially frozen.

I've dug them out a year later, and they've been fine. I usually try to buy them partially or fully frozen.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:36 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Sean, I have a confession to make. I just freeze the chicken breasts in the store packaging with the plastic wrap and styrofoam tray. I defrost them for a few minutes in the microwave, and whack them up while they're still partially frozen.

I've dug them out a year later, and they've been fine. I usually try to buy them partially or fully frozen.
I have done that too, especially when I'm feeling lazy. I also do it when they have already gotten near the use by date and they are still in the fridge waiting to be dealt with.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:11 PM   #5
Cook

Wow. That's good news.

What about when you buy them in bulk, and there are 6-10 in a package?

I live alone, and go through about 5, or 6 chicken breasts in a week. I currently take the chicken breasts out of the packaging once it's been opened and store them in a pyrex container with a lid that seals tightly.

By the 5th, or 6th day, I've noticed the chicken breasts are looking a little dark, and maybe don't taste quite as good.

I was thinking about storing them in 2s, or 3s in sealed Tupperware-type containers and thawing out one at a time.

Bueno?
Old 03-27-2015, 06:16 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Muy bueno. You can even cover them in some water or broth and freeze.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:18 PM   #7
Master Chef

Sean

Don't keep fresh chicken breasts for 6 days. Freeze them.

The way you freeze them depends on how picky you are when they are thawed and cooked. The best way in terms of taste and texture is to wrap them tightly individually in plastic wrap and then put in a ziplock with all the air sucked out. Ziplocks can be reused forever

Or a foods saver.

If you don't individualy wrap them tightly they can dry out and get freezer burn.

Like you, I also buy a bunch of chix breasts in bulk to eat individually. You probably need to take them home and process them individually. They are much easier to manage on an individual basis. You don't want to defrost a bunch and have them sitting in the fridge if you aren't going to eat them.

Like I said, ziplocks can be recycled forever. If you don't want to use plastic wrap, use something else to keep the breasts separated from each other so you can remove them frozen one by one. Then put in a ziplock and seal as tightly as you can.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:32 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCan'tCook View Post
Wow. That's good news.

What about when you buy them in bulk, and there are 6-10 in a package?

I live alone, and go through about 5, or 6 chicken breasts in a week. I currently take the chicken breasts out of the packaging once it's been opened and store them in a pyrex container with a lid that seals tightly.

By the 5th, or 6th day, I've noticed the chicken breasts are looking a little dark, and maybe don't taste quite as good.

I was thinking about storing them in 2s, or 3s in sealed Tupperware-type containers and thawing out one at a time.

Bueno?
Yes, fine. They may get freezer burn from not being packed away from the air but they won't do you any harm as long as they were good when they went I into the freezer.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:03 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

I understand your desire to avoid overuse of plastics. However, any savings you realize from the purchase of BS chicken breasts can be lost through improper storage. Freezer burn won't ruin a chicken breast but will compromise quality.

I recommend tightly wrapping each portion in plastic, freezing them and sealing multiple portions in a ziplock freezer bag. I have a rule to NOT reuse ziplock bags that held raw chicken to minimize the risk of contamination.

JMO
Old 03-28-2015, 11:29 AM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCan'tCook View Post
OK, so my local Sprouts has boneless, skinless chicken breasts on sale for 1.69 per pound.

I eat a lot of those, and I'd like to stock up. I'm thinking I want to buy a bunch of them, and freeze them, but I have some questions.

First, everything I see on freezing chicken breasts has me using plastic, and ziplock bags. I hate the waste of that. I was wondering if I could use Tupperware containers? If not, is there a way to do it that doesn't involve putting so much non-recyclable plastic into the landfill?

Second, how long will they keep in the freezer?

Thanks,
They need to be wrapped tightly if they are going to be frozen for any length of time. If air can get to the surface, they will get freezer burn. This is the point of vacuum packaging. The ones I get that are bagged and frozen don't burn because they somehow have a water coating that turns to ice when they are flash frozen and protects against that. This is why I usually buy bagged frozen chicken parts (wings, thighs, breast) when I want them to last for a while. Then never seem to get freezer burn.

Tags
chicken, chicken breast, chicken breasts