Freezing Turkey Burgers - Raw or Cooked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muzzlet

Senior Cook
I found this recipe for Asian Turkey Burgers, but it makes 6 burgers, so I want to freeze half for another meal. My question is: should I freeze them before or after they are cooked? I am using fresh ground turkey, not previously frozen. If you want to see the recipe, here it is: Recipe

Thanks, Jan

Miss Jan.....IMO I would freeze them prior to cooking (raw). Form your patties and freeze on a plate over night so they will freeze seperately....bag them the next morning.

Cooked

If you grill them, which is the only way we cook them, and we only cook Turkey burgers at our house, I would cook them first and then freeze them, IMHO.:chef:

We've been doing this for many years now. This also facilitates leftovers - a quick lunch or dinner by microwaving or other reheating method. :cool:

I agree with the "freeze raw" folks, although you can freeze leftover cooked ones as well. Have been making chicken & turkey burgers for well over 20 years now, & frequently make more than I plan to cook at one time. I usually wrap them snugly individually in plastic wrap, & then put them in a freezer bag with the date marked on it. Do the same for cooked ones.

If given a choice, I much prefer frozen thawed raw burgers than frozen thawed cooked ones. The frozen thawed cooked ones do seem to lose enough moisture to make them a bit on the dry side after reheating.

Thanks for much for all the great suggestions. I just wanted to let you know that the recipe turned out great and I will definitely be making them again! I did decide to freeze the extra raw burgers. I took Uncle Bob's advice about freezing them first on a plate, then bagging. However, next time I will remember to put some wax paper under them first so they don't stick to the plate!!!

Back
Top Bottom