"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 07-01-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
Master Chef

Fresh Guinea Hen On The Way

Okay guys - I have a fresh air-chilled, never frozen, 2-1/2 to 3-pound Guinea Hen arriving on my doorstep tomorrow. Have spent the entire morning researching recipes before I hit the market.

Of course, since I can also hit the market tomorrow - any TNT ideas here for Guinea Hen?

I've had it in a restaurant, but have never cooked it myself.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Never had one. does it "taste like chicken" or more like duck or what?

Old 07-01-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
Master Chef

You know - & this is going to sound stupid - I had it so long ago that I don't even really remember what it tasted like. Just remember that I really liked it & wanted to cook it myself one day. Originally had it at a local popular upscale restaurant here, "The Bavarian Chef" (Madison, VA). So when D'Artagnan sent me an e-mail that they had fresh air-chilled ones on sale, just had to order one. Once in a blue moon they appear in upscale supermarkets around here, but they look like they've been frozen since the beginning of time, & for that amount of money, I'd much rather deal with a fresh bird.

As I remember it, definitely not like duck at all; more like a cross between chicken & pheasant - just like a chicken, mostly white meat except for the legs & thighs. Since technically a "game bird", it's supposed to be VERY lean, thus most recipes call for larding or covering with bacon. I'd like to avoid that.

Perused the internet all morning for recipes & have quite a few that look interesting. Should be an interesting experiment for dinner tomorrow night. Hope my husband is up to it - lol!!!
Old 07-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Keep us posted
Old 07-01-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
Master Chef

Okay - here's the recipe that has piqued my interest the most so far:

Grilled Guinea Hen with Lemon, Garlic and Oregano

But I don't want to do it on the grill. Grilling an unknown meat whole that's lean & prone to overcooking isn't something I want to experiment with. I'd rather experiment with that method using a cheap chicken - lol!

So how would you guys transmute(?) this recipe to oven-roasting?
Old 07-01-2010, 08:23 PM   #6
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I have never eaten them, but some neighbors have a few Guineas. They like to come into our yard to catch bugs. They are so cute, and they make such neat sounds. Also, they are scared of every movement and they jog home as soon as they see any of us. So entertaining!

Barbara
Old 07-01-2010, 08:31 PM   #7
Master Chef

Thanks Barb - I'll be sure to think of that cuteness when my plucked & ready-to-cook Guinea Hen arrives tomorrow - LOL!!!

Really, I'm only kidding. Lots of folks around here raise them. In fact, fairly recently we had to stop the car while a little flock of them scooted across the road. I think they're lovely birds & they're supposed to be bug-eating commandos, BUT their frequent screeches sound like children being murdered, & they're not natural coop-roosters like chickens. Thus, the folks that do have them lose an extremely large number of them to all the predators around here.

And while I haven't seen her yet this year, we used to have a farmers market vendor who sold Guinea Hen eggs for eating. She was always sold out when I hit her stand, so can't give a critique.

If I owned any, it would have to be for pets only. While I have a very healthy respect for folks who can butcher their own food, it ain't for me. I can't look something in the eye & then look at it on my plate - lol!
Old 07-01-2010, 08:39 PM   #8
Head Chef

marinate, spatchcock, roast?

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:42 PM   #9
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I'm kind of the same way Breezy! I definitely don't have a problem eating them, but I wouldn't want to have to kill them. I'm probably the only one who thinks Guineas sound cute, but then I like the sound of peacocks too!

Barbara
Old 07-01-2010, 08:46 PM   #10
Master Chef

Do you think I'd have to spatchcock it? I was hoping to roast it whole this first go-round. And do a LOT of basting since I won't be larding it with bacon. Am thinking 350 degrees for 45 minutes & then check for internal temp?

Really don't want to screw it up. Pricey bird.

Have several recipes for braises/casseroles, but it's kinda warm for that kind of cooking. Would prefer to roast.

Only a food board would understand how someone can be standing around wringing her hands over how best to cook a slag of raw poultry - lol!!!!

Tags
None