"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 11-06-2008, 01:25 PM   #31
Master Chef

I also saved that Emeril recipe to try. But I think his sawing the drumsticks in half crosswise so that they "resemble" sawed veal shanks is a total waste. If/when I make this recipe, I'll just be using the drumsticks whole.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:30 PM   #32
Head Chef

It looked good. Think I'll try it myself.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:08 PM   #33
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
I also saved that Emeril recipe to try. But I think his sawing the drumsticks in half crosswise so that they "resemble" sawed veal shanks is a total waste. If/when I make this recipe, I'll just be using the drumsticks whole.
I'm thinking that sawing the drumsticks would have a couple of advantages. Cooking time, texture, appearance, and maybe flavor, would change I usually serve Braised dishes family style, often in the my copper braising pan, and portions would work out better. Whole leg meat would have to be pulled from the bone, and would be long stringy pieces of meat, or served whole, a bit much for some.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:10 PM   #34
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Sawing the legs would also get at the marrow in the leg bones. I know if you cleaver the long bones when you BBQ chicken, the flavor is better.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:05 AM   #35
Senior Cook

fresh turkeys may be wandering around on a farm near you , if your local stores don't have it ,try making arrangements with a local farmer . That would be a win win situation.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:36 AM   #36
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Well, I just ordered a whole turkey for Thanksgiving. we have a poultry farm about a mile and a half from the house. This will be my first whole turkey.

I remember when I was young (Loooooooooong ago) that mom used to buy a loaf of "Stuffing Bread". I have seen nothing but dried stuffing in the stores.

Therefore, a little banging around yielded this. What do Y'all (love that word. Can a Yankee use it? Do I need dispensation?) think?

Mom used to cut it into cubes and then "things" went into it. I am thinking celery, onion, sausage and......??????? What is a great stuffing.

AC
Old 11-10-2008, 05:11 PM   #37
Master Chef

I love turkey too. I used to make this great turkey soup. But for a life of me I haven't done for so long that I do not remember the recipe. The whole turkey is only for the Thanksgiving.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:06 PM   #38
Cook

Thumbs up

In answer to the question about fresh/frozen turkey I have helped out at the holidays in a processing plant for turkeys. The turkey is partly frozen before they are processed. They do this flash freeze thing before they are cleaned and feathers plucked out. The fresh ones are just packaged at the end of that line while the ones for freezing go back on to the freezer again.

It is not unusual to purchase a "fresh" turkey with some ice in it though.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:28 PM   #39
Master Chef

Thanks for the info AuntieV!
Old 11-12-2008, 11:27 PM   #40
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post

I remember when I was young (Loooooooooong ago) that mom used to buy a loaf of "Stuffing Bread". I have seen nothing but dried stuffing in the stores.

Therefore, a little banging around yielded this. What do Y'all (love that word. Can a Yankee use it? Do I need dispensation?) think?

Mom used to cut it into cubes and then "things" went into it. I am thinking celery, onion, sausage and......??????? What is a great stuffing.

AC
I can only find "stuffing bread" during the holidays here and it goes fast. I usually just buy regular loaves and dry it out for a couple days and cut into cubes. I use onion, celery, chicken stock and poultry seasoning. Plain and simple but oh so good! I also add salt and pepper to taste. For a 22lb. turkey I use 6 loaves bread, 6 diced onions, 6-7 stalks celery, diced. Can you tell we love stuffing.

Barb

Tags
None