Fried Chicken Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I knew I had a photo. Shallow fry in an old Griswold #8 CI skillet. Yes, it is messy. I have also cooked it the same way outside on my Weber kettle. Way less mess that way.

CD

Attachments

• Chicken.jpeg
    Chicken.jpeg
    318.4 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:
That's why I love my CI chicken fry pan. Deeper than a skillet and a dutch oven seems like over kill. If you ever see one at a garage sale (fools), estate sale or the goodwill, snap that baby up!

Attachments

• cast-iron-deep-chicken-fryer-pan.jpg
    cast-iron-deep-chicken-fryer-pan.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 291
That's why I love my CI chicken fry pan. Deeper than a skillet and a dutch oven seems like over kill. If you ever see one at a garage sale (fools), estate sale or the goodwill, snap that baby up!

I am really tempted to buy one of those, a Griswold, of course. But, how often will I really use it? That is the million-dollar question. Decisions, decisions.

CD

Tip: When dip frying, the chicken will float to the surface of the oil when chicken is done.

You need a Frywall Casy! I love mine...https://frywall.com/

I've seen those. I'd just have to wash the fry-cone, instead of cleaning the ceramic stovetop, which is really not that big of a deal. Frying my chicken outside is even easier. I just let the oil spatter all it wants.

Cooking good food is messy. But, IMO, it is worth it.

CD

Last edited:
I've seen those. I'd just have to wash the fry-cone, instead of cleaning the ceramic stovetop, which is really not that big of a deal. Frying my chicken outside is even easier. I just let the oil spatter all it wants.

Cooking good food is messy. But, IMO, it is worth it.

CD

On the other hand, it's a really big deal to clean a gas stove top, but I'd never have electric by choice for me. The Frywall goes right into the dishwasher.
Fer sure, I love the side burner on my gas grill for lots of stuff. Slick!

If I owned one of these, I’d make sure leave it to someone I love in my will!

I use a sauce pan such as my 7-qt. enameled cast iron. The high sides minimize spatter. For smaller batches I use a 4-qt pan.

I did not read this whole thread. But wanted to tell the OP a deep fryer is not required to make great fried chicken.
Chicken pieces heavily seasoned with salt and pepper then dredged in flour and a heavy skillet or other vessel can be used.
You use much less oil and to me, my fried chicken comes out better with a cast iron skillet or one of my deep/high sided aluminum skillets with about an inch or so of oil.

I do use my "Fry Daddy" for wings sometimes. I can cook 8 wing sections at one time. Very crispy and very fast.
Just remember to season the pieces well with salt and pepper.
I also put a little salt and pepper in the flour. I use paper lunch sacks and shake up the chicken to flour it.

I did not read this whole thread. But wanted to tell the OP a deep fryer is not required to make great fried chicken.
Chicken pieces heavily seasoned with salt and pepper then dredged in flour and a heavy skillet or other vessel can be used.
You use much less oil and to me, my fried chicken comes out better with a cast iron skillet or one of my deep/high sided aluminum skillets with about an inch or so of oil.

I do use my "Fry Daddy" for wings sometimes. I can cook 8 wing sections at one time. Very crispy and very fast.
Just remember to season the pieces well with salt and pepper.
I also put a little salt and pepper in the flour. I use paper lunch sacks and shake up the chicken to flour it.

Minus the Fry Daddy, this is essentially how I do it. I fried up some drumsticks last night. A good shake in the bag to coat with seasoned flour, then 10 minutes on the rack letting the coating get sticky, then into the frying pan (12" nonstick heavy aluminum fry pan). I can do 7 drumsticks at a time without crowding and they come out nice and crispy.

Is this still available, or something similar? I think I’m in love with it!

You can find some nice ones on eBay from time to time. My brand of choice is Griswold. You will pay a pretty penny for one, but you can hand it down for generations, if it is properly cared for, which is not very difficult.

CD

I bought this combo at the Lodge factory outlet in Sevierville, TN this past summer. I also bought a second skillet for our daughter. She was eyeing the 3-quart pot; I told her I'd bring it back at Christmas time if I didn't use it much. One pot of chili later...she's getting it this Christmas. It does look perfect for frying chicken, and I have used the skillet part often, so I would think this would be a good value for you. I just might give a go at my first batch of Southern fried chicken when we're at Loverly's place over the holidays. :yum:

81jyD7RussL._SX463_.jpg

Here's a tasty marinade for a little spicier fried chicken. I call it smoldering chicken because it doesn't burn, but leaves your mouth with a warm glow. It works well with any of the seasoned flour recipes on this thread, or you can make up something different.

Ingredients:
1/3 cup Sriracha brand Hot Sauce
2 tbs. Tabasco Pepper Sauce
1 tbs. good soy sauce

Smoldering Chicken Marinade

Place ingredients in a bowl and whisk together. Pour into a zipper bag and add chicken pieces. Massage bag to coat all chicken. Place in the fridge for 20 minutes. Remove chicken and coat with seasoned flour. Fry.

When I made this recipe, I took the marinated chicken and cooked it over a solid bed of charcoal on the Webber, with the lid on. The smoke added such a wonderful flavor to the chicken. Either way, this is a really good hot chicken, and tastes, at least to me, much better than does buffalo wings style chicken.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom