Fried Chicken Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
for those concern about splatter, I put alum. foil down around the burner and top of the stove anditems away from the any heat or flame that might get splatters I put news paper down. Save a whole lot of clean up.

for those concern about splatter, I put alum. foil down around the burner and top of the stove anditems away from the any heat or flame that might get splatters I put news paper down. Save a whole lot of clean up.

I put a splatter screen on top of my frying pan to minimize splatter. That works too.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Oven-fried Chicken

I ran across this recipe for oven fried chicken on Food52. I thought the brining process a little bit unusual, and the cook time seems a bit long. Anyone care to comment?

I ran across this recipe for oven fried chicken on Food52. I thought the brining process a little bit unusual, and the cook time seems a bit long. Anyone care to comment?
Yeah, the brining process seems pretty involved - but that's the nature of Food52 ;) Chicken thighs can take a long cooking time, but I would think they would be good and brown in about 45 minutes. As they cook, the fat under the skin will render out, so they will be frying in that as well as the butter. Speaking of which, I'd start it with oil and not butter.

Fried chicken shouldn't take 45 minutes, even if you are doing a whole bird.

20 to 25 minutes for parts, 30 to 35 for a whole bird.

Yeah, the brining process seems pretty involved - but that's the nature of Food52 ;) Chicken thighs can take a long cooking time, but I would think they would be good and brown in about 45 minutes. As they cook, the fat under the skin will render out, so they will be frying in that as well as the butter. Speaking of which, I'd start it with oil and not butter.
I thought the same thing about the oil v. butter.

Oh, sorry.

That's still a bit long for oven fried. But I guess it depends on the size of the parts.

I just read the recipe and it looks like a good way to leave much of the breading and skin stuck to the pan

I also love fried chicken, the recipe I use is from a restaurant that do the best I've had. Most of you guys have the same stuff I use, herbs etc. and now I'm a big butter milk fan now. Hope you find a nice recipe Joel.
Btw the best chicken I've had is the way my daughter does it. Japanese style and fried in panko crumbs, man is it good with Japanese Mayo.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom