"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2017, 05:52 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Fried Chicken Newbie

Iíve never made fried chicken. Honestly! Oh, Iíve made oven fried chicken, many times, and itís very good! But sometimes, you just want the crispy, juicy, heartstopping oil-fried stuff.

I bought an entry level fryer, and looked at about 2 dozen recipes on the web. I chose one that had spices I like, and buttermilk, and Iím heating the oil now. But Iíd like to hear from the community! Whatís the best fried chicken recipe you have?

Old 12-08-2017, 06:05 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
For us, hands down, its Chicken Katsu!!
We look at it as Japanese Fried Chicken, that or maybe
Karaage Chicken, Korean Fried Chicken, Garlic Mochiko Chicken.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:23 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
For us, hands down, its Chicken Katsu!!
We look at it as Japanese Fried Chicken, that or maybe
Karaage Chicken, Korean Fried Chicken, Garlic Mochiko Chicken.
I do SO love chicken katsu! Pork too! And Kara-age! And Tatsuta-age! But I’ve been craving good ol’ southern fried chicken, with gravy, or ranch dressing, some coleslaw and potatoes with it! And I’m hen, I won’t want it again for a year!
Old 12-08-2017, 06:38 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Honestly I don't. I threw away my deep fryer a long time ago. However, I kept my cast iron chicken fry pan and use it. It's like a regular CI fry pan only it has deeper sides. and the cover to a dutch oven fits on it too.

My recipe, if you will:

Flour
Heavy salt and pepper
Cayenne pepper, more than you think you need
Dried thyme leaves, powdered between your fingers
Buttermilk
Peanut oil for frying

Pour buttermilk into a casserole or deep dish. Salt the chicken, put in bowl. Refrigerate at least one hour, turn chicken over once.

Heat oil to 365/370 F

Remove chix one piece at a time and pat dry. Dredge in seasoned flour. For a thicker crust, just drip dry the chix a little and don't shake off as much flour after dredging. Set the chix pieces on a rack while the oil continues to heat. Fry without crowding the chicken pieces. Usually takes about 7-8-9 minutes until done.

With my CI pan, I have to turn the chix pieces over while frying.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:40 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Learning from failure!

Okay, hereís what I learned from my first experience with deep-frying chicken.

1. It cooks a lot more quickly than the recipes suggest!
2. Do NOT put your chicken into the frying basket and then add to the fryer. Put the fryer basket in the fryer, then add the chicken slowly.

I haven't tasted the chicken yet; Iím keeping warm in the oven. Iíll let you know (because I know you care!
Old 12-08-2017, 07:23 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Wiska is on the mark with those instructions Joel.

I have excellent results with the skillet oil deep enough to measure about half way up the chicken pieces. I don't deep fry anything for lots of reasons, not the least of which it's a big mess, takes lots of oil, and more trouble than it's worth in my opinion.
Now I want some fried chicken!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:19 PM   #7
Head Chef

I prefer to pan fry my chicken in my old Griswold cast iron pan. I've done it in a deep fryer, but I like it pan fried better. Yes, make the oil deep enough to cover halfway up the chicken pieces, and flip the chicken halfway through the cook.

I don't use buttermilk. I use flour, egg wash, flour.

I agree that you need to season more than you think you need to. I don't know why.

Yes, do not put the chicken in the basket first, if you deep fry, unless you want it to fuse to the basket.

I also prefer peanut oil.

I don't know what chicken Katsu is.

I am on a plane right now, but when I get home for long enough, I'll load some frying photos -- if it still matters when I am home long enough.

CD
Old 12-09-2017, 12:16 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I prefer to pan fry my chicken in my old Griswold cast iron pan. I've done it in a deep fryer, but I like it pan fried better. Yes, make the oil deep enough to cover halfway up the chicken pieces, and flip the chicken halfway through the cook.

I don't use buttermilk. I use flour, egg wash, flour.

I agree that you need to season more than you think you need to. I don't know why.

Yes, do not put the chicken in the basket first, if you deep fry, unless you want it to fuse to the basket.

I also prefer peanut oil.

I don't know what chicken Katsu is.

I am on a plane right now, but when I get home for long enough, I'll load some frying photos -- if it still matters when I am home long enough.

CD

Here's a quick recipe for you CD:
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedes...chicken-katsu/

Some of the best fried chicken in my book anyways
Old 12-09-2017, 02:38 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Here in the Bible Belt, we make it very simple.
Flour with a bit of salt, pepper, paprika and garlic.
Place your chicken in the flour mix, making sure the flour is all over the chicken,
and dunk your chicken directly in your fry daddy for about 6 to 8 minutes.
I found out the longer you leave your chicken in the flour bowl (like 15 minutes), the wetter the flour around the chicken becomes, which become a thicker crust during cooking. I suppose the buttermilk would have the same effect and create a thicker crust.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:22 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Mine is a bit different yet. I just dip in buttermilk (approximation made with regular milk and vinegar or lemon juice), then dredge in well seasoned flour (last week I used kosher salt, pepper, and dried thyme, and more than you would think you'd need). After dredging, I put it on a rack for at least 10-15 minutes until the coating gets a bit sticky. While chicken is resting I heat the oil in the pan at about medium high (about 375į F). Only then do I put it in the fry pan with enough oil to go half way up the pieces when all are in the pan - don't crowd. I get a thin, crispy coating and tender, juicy meat.

I usually only fry legs, wings, or thighs. If I do fry breast I generally debone it and cut it into strips so it cooks more evenly.

When I do half breasts I usually do split breasts skin on and bone in, and I season and bake them. I seem to get better results roasting breast halves than I do frying them - they are so juicy and tender that way and for me it seems to be easier to cook them through without over cooking.

Tags
chicken, newbie, other