Fried Turkey - How do YOU make it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
My brother will be buying a frying rig this year so I will finally be tasting something I have wanted to taste for a very long time :chef:

Since we have never fried a turkey before we wanted to find out what works and does not work. Give us all your advice!
For instance, do you brine your turkey that you are going to fry or do you not bother? Do you use any kind of dry rub or anything else on the skin or do you just put it in the oil naked? My guess is that naked is the way to go so that seasonings do not burn, but let me know if I am wrong. I can't wait till turkey day now!!!

There is a cajun injection that we use. It is really good and makes the turkey very juicy. It's called Tony Chachere's. It comes with the injector. You should be able to find it where the bbq sauces and marinades are at your grocery store.

I brine my turkey prior to frying. I used an injector once and also cooked it with just the brine for flavoring. Exterior treatments wash off and contaminate the oil.

BTW, everyone recommends peanut oil but I have also used something called "Clear-Fry" that does just as well as the peanut oil. The fact is, the peanut oil sold for deep fryers is not the strongly flavored Asian peanut oil but the milder US version.

The oil will come up to temp in 15-20 minutes (325 F-350 F). A 13 pound turkey will cook in 40-45 minutes (3 to 3.5 minutes per pound).

After the oil cools, strain out the particulates and keep it for another fry.

You can also use the rig for a crab boil.

This is one area I let DH take over. :LOL: He just does a dry rub. We bought one of these pots last year and have used it twice now. The pot also works great for cooking up very large batches of soup. I use it for my pho.

In my experience, it takes longer than 20 minutes for the oil to come to temp. We bought our fryer at Cabella's and it came with a marinade and injector as well as a dry rub. This time we're going to skip the rub in favor of the marinade. We were told to get a stainless steel one and not an aluminum one. We don't brine. Be sure the turkey is dry inside and out before immersing in the hot oil.

I use a prepared dry rub and rub that on the turkey, then I take melted butter and some of the dry rub and inject that.

I normally don't care for turkey, but fried turkey is awesome! I would love to try turducken also. oooo... fried turducken!

Hey GB, thanks for starting this thread. I am learning lots. I would love to try my hand at frying turkey.

Back
Top Bottom