"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-14-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Elizabethtown,PA
Posts: 4
G Washington Stuffing

My ex-MIL used to make the BEST stuffing, using something called G. Washington????

I don't ever recall seeing this in a grocery store. All I know is that this was her "secret ingredient" and it was the best.
She would stuff the turkey and also make it in a casserole dish by itself.

Can anyone help??

Thanks so much!

Kerch

__________________

__________________
"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
Ronald Reagan
Kerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:38 PM   #2
Cook
 
Nadia_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 71
I have never heard of it or recall seeing it in the grocery store, but a quick internet search turned up some info. Here's one:

Good luck!

http://www.ochef.com/188.htm
__________________

__________________
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food. - W.C. Fields
Nadia_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:39 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerch View Post
My ex-MIL used to make the BEST stuffing, using something called G. Washington????

I don't ever recall seeing this in a grocery store. All I know is that this was her "secret ingredient" and it was the best.
She would stuff the turkey and also make it in a casserole dish by itself.

Can anyone help??

Thanks so much!

Kerch
GWashington was a bulliooon cube to make gravy and stock. M-I-L use to use it I believe it was chicken
kadesma
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:54 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,390
I always make stuffing with turkey broth I make myself or sometimes buy in a can. Using another broth in place of the GWashington shouldn't make a huge difference in the stuffing.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:09 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,888
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadia_ View Post
I have never heard of it or recall seeing it in the grocery store, but a quick internet search turned up some info. Here's one:

Good luck!

Finding George Washington broth
I had a look at that link and get the impression that there is MSG in this bouillon powder/cube. Now, some people like things cooked with MSG. It does enhance the flavours that are already there. Other people can taste the MSG and may like or dislike the flavour. And still other people, like me, get a weird headache when we eat MSG.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:24 PM   #6
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Metro New York
Posts: 8,764
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I had a look at that link and get the impression that there is MSG in this bouillon powder/cube. Now, some people like things cooked with MSG. It does enhance the flavours that are already there. Other people can taste the MSG and may like or dislike the flavour. And still other people, like me, get a weird headache when we eat MSG.
taxlady, it isn't about "like or dislike" MSG. It causes some folks (me included) terrible headaches. and besides it is horrendously high in sodium.

Most bouillon cubes are extremely high in sodium. Canned, low-sodium broth (Swanson make it) is a much healthier alternative, if you haven't time or inclination to make stock from scratch.
__________________
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:29 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,888
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
taxlady, it isn't about "like or dislike" MSG. It causes some folks (me included) terrible headaches. and besides it is horrendously high in sodium.

Most bouillon cubes are extremely high in sodium. Canned, low-sodium broth (Swanson make it) is a much healthier alternative, if you haven't time or inclination to make stock from scratch.
To be honest, MSG is a complete no-go for me too. I tend to think of it as poison.

I wanted to make a balanced post. It could very well be that the reason the stuffing was so "good" was because of the MSG.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:38 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,373
Every time Ive eaten a meal with MSG I've ended up deathly ill.Being in a hospital is no fun espicially when you find out a week of your life is gone for good
kades
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:16 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,390
I don't think it's fair to demonize MSG by calling it poison. It's a food flavor enhancer as are salt and pepper.

Without a doubt, it has a bad effect on some. However, the majority of the world eats dishes with MSG without an issue.

People who are bothered by MSG should be very conscious of prepared foods. Many include MSG.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:15 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,888
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I don't think it's fair to demonize MSG by calling it poison. It's a food flavor enhancer as are salt and pepper.

Without a doubt, it has a bad effect on some. However, the majority of the world eats dishes with MSG without an issue.

People who are bothered by MSG should be very conscious of prepared foods. Many include MSG.
I didn't call it poison. I just think of it that way. I think it is bad for everyone, but I don't know that.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.