"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 06:57 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I tossed it. It may have been a full 3 hours on the counter. I fell asleep. If this was survival cooking, I'd have chanced cooking it.
Atta boy!! "Maybe three hours" just isn't worth the chance. Live and learn.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:09 AM   #32
Senior Cook

What about those open air Asian markets I see on TV. Not arguing, just wondering how they survive. Are thier digestive systems just tougher?

I suppose tolerance is different for everyone. We had some kind of casserole we made when my niece was staying with us and it got left out. She woke up to go to school the next morning and chowed down on it. Said they do it all the time at home, no biggie, never been sick.

My system would have gone into shock and I'd be sick all day. Of course mayo can do that to me on its own, so I'm not exactly a good judge of food safety.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:05 AM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
A fridge thawed cornish game hen. It was very chilled when I took it out and seasoned it. I let it get to room temp, and then some. i stuck it back in the freezer real quick, and then down to the fridge. Please tell me I can BBQ it safely. I don't want to toss it.

Are statistics in my favor?
In any case "they" recommend allowing meat that's been in the 'fridge to come to room temp before cooking.

Make sure you cook it fully and not just on the outside.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:34 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
In any case "they" recommend allowing meat that's been in the 'fridge to come to room temp before cooking.

Make sure you cook it fully and not just on the outside.
"They" don't recommend that for poultry but for red meat. And it's not the food safety experts that recommend that; it's TV chefs who don't know better.

And it doesn't actually work: http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/t...ing-steak.html
Old 06-28-2017, 03:31 AM   #35
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

OP disposed of the game hen, discussion closed.

Tags
None