Game hen left on the counter for 2+ hours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Caslon

Executive Chef
I immediately put it back in the fridge. Cornish game hen. I let it get to room temp. I'd say it was on the counter for 2+ hours. Am I gonna get sick if I BBQ it? Please don't say I have to toss it. I wonder how many emergency room visits there are for people who left their chicken out on the counter too long. Not many,I'm guessing.

Last edited:
A fridge thawed cornish game hen. It was very chilled when I took it out and seasoned it. I let it get to room temp, and then some. i stuck it back in the freezer real quick, and then down to the fridge. Please tell me I can BBQ it safely. I don't want to toss it.

Are statistics in my favor?

I don't defrost and freeze again but that is maybe just me. For the most part I smell my meats and toss if they have any off odour or colour. You will have to decide. Was it warm or still cold when you put it back into the fridge?

I don't defrost and freeze again but that is maybe just me. For the most part I smell my meats and toss if they have any off odour or colour. You will have to decide. Was it warm or still cold when you put it back into the fridge?

It was room temp, or there abouts. I wouldn't be asking if it was still cold.

2 hrs.?
I've done worse thousands of times with zero hospitalizations.

Ditto but it is a risk lol. 2 hours ok. 3 to 4 and bacteria gets to dangerous levels. Can't even count the times that we've been to a BBQ where the men get a little drunk and grill a few hours later than planned.
I trust my sense of smell. Sniff test has not failed me yet.

There's always a risk, but I think it's minimal in this case. I'd cook it.

Btw, in the early stages, bacteria contamination has no odor.

Yep. If it really was 2 hours you'll probably be ok.

And GG is right. The "sniff" test doesn't work for lots of food that's been overwhelmed with bacteria but has not yet begun to noticeably decay. Don't rely on a sniff test.

Yes everyone knows smelling is not fool proof but if it smells it's obviously gone bad. No one can give a sure answer here. It depends on what temp the chicken was and if 2 hours plus means 2 hours and 5 mins or maybe 3 or whatever.

Yes everyone knows smelling is not fool proof but if it smells it's obviously gone bad. No one can give a sure answer here. It depends on what temp the chicken was and if 2 hours plus means 2 hours and 5 mins or maybe 3 or whatever.
Not everyone does know that, which is why I mentioned it.

Sorry you're right not literally everyone but most. This is actually just a question that can not be answered with certainty. Was not an attack on you.
I didn't take it as an attack. I just don't think it's a good idea to encourage people in a public forum to use an unreliable method of determining whether food is safe to eat. Lots of people who never join or post read these threads.

Last edited:
I didn't take it as an attack. I just don't think it's a good idea to encourage people in a public forum to use an unreliable method of determining whether food is safe to eat. Lots of people who never join or post read these threads.
That is why I said I can't say there is no risk in a previous post. Read it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto but it is a risk lol. 2 hours ok. 3 to 4 and bacteria gets to dangerous levels. Can't even count the times that we've been to a BBQ where the men get a little drunk and grill a few hours later than planned.
I trust my sense of smell. Sniff test has not failed me yet.

I think unless you kill the bird yourself there is always a risk of contamination. Retailers, and for that matter packers are not always as responsible as they should be. And yet food poisoning is not that prevalent in the US.

If it were me I'd cook it. Maybe on the high side of the temperature range. What I would not do is put it back in the freezer unless I cooked it first.

I think unless you kill the bird yourself there is always a risk of contamination. Retailers, and for that matter packers are not always as responsible as they should be. And yet food poisoning is not that prevalent in the US.

If it were me I'd cook it. Maybe on the high side of the temperature range. What I would not do is put it back in the freezer unless I cooked it first.
Yes there is always a risk. I would never freeze defrosted meat again either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom