Gearing up for Turkey Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rainee - ? - Do you recycle/reuse the oil? Please tell me more about deep frying; my older son is pestering me to give this a try! Do you do other things besides turkey in the deep fryer?

I know when we have the Turkey oncee the oil is cooled you can just put it back in the containers for next time. You absolutely have to give it a try!! It is to die for!!!! Best way to have a bird in a short amount of time....

Yes, you can probably do 3-4 turkeys per batch of oil. As it takes several gallons of oil, and you need to use peanut oil, which is more expensive than other oils.

PLEASE do not try this inside, and use caution when frying it outside.

No, we really don't deep fry anything else.

Do you know if anything else could be done like this? I guess my hesitatation is that I'm the only meat eater in the house; the only time I really do a big turkey is during the holidays, and I'm not sure the expense would be worth it.

You can save the oil and fry you another turkey, or if you could get 2 or 3 of your neighbor who might want one. Have them provide the turkey, charge them $3-5 dollars to fry, and that will pay for your oil.

Hey Rainee, I've always wanted to give this a shot, but I've hauled up short at reading your comment it "must be peanut oil"...could you not use safflower, canola or sunflower oil, that all can accept a good high heat (and not kill those kids with peanut allergies?)

Isn't that its "just oil", but cannot have a burning temp below the target temperature?

(And I'd certainly agree, you MUST toss the oil after use!)

Also make sure you measure the oil properly to avoid run over and big flame up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom