Giblet identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joesfolk

Head Chef
Horrible admission:
I have been cooking for, well, too many years to admit. But I have never been able to tell which parts of the giblet package are which with the exception of the neck. Sometimes I can tell which is the heart, I think. Would you kind folks help rectify this sad state of affairs. Maybe post very clear pictures for me? At my age I should not be so uneducated.

The "U" shaped item is the neck.
The dark red one are the liver.
The one with the silver skin in the middle is the gizzard
The one with the pointed end is the heart. (you know, the heart shaped one)

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    10 KB · Views: 4,126
First of all, bless your heart, thank you. Now is all of that dark red stuff liver. My goodness, with that much liver it's no wonder people make drunken chicken. It wouldn't hurt them a bit!

The liver is the stuff on the bottom right. The heart is top right.

Packers are supposed to ensure each turkey gets packed with a full complement as pictured but there is no guarantee the parts are all from the same bird.

The "U" shaped item is the neck.
The dark red one are the liver.
The one with the silver skin in the middle is the gizzard
The one with the pointed end is the heart. (you know, the heart shaped one)
Andy I cook a lot of Turkey offal, the best tasting meat on a Turkey is the neck, the liver sliced floured then pan fried with sage butter is nearly as good as calf's liver, the gizzard and heart I cook in stock till tender then dice and toss in a salad.garden 2 033.jpgThis neck made a very meaty soup for four adults at about $1 a bowl for lunch.

garden 2 035.jpgI love parsons nose roasted.

Parson's Nose
Pope's Hat
Last part over the fence...

I save it for stock.

I find it very annoying that turkey parts like the wings and giblets cost more than a whole turkey! I can buy a whole turkey for less than a dollar a pound but have to pay twice that for the crap parts I'd use for stock.

Parson's Nose
Pope's Hat

I save it for stock.

I find it very annoying that turkey parts like the wings and giblets cost more than a whole turkey! I can buy a whole turkey for less than a dollar a pound but have to pay twice that for the crap parts I'd use for stock.

I thought it was pope's nose on a turkey and parson's nose on a chicken ;)

Don't get me started about the price of parts. Chicken wings that cost as much as boneless chicken breast! Beef bones at $4/lb (when I can find them)...

Pope's nose. That's it.

We pay for beef and veal bones, chicken and turkey parts, pork neck bones. Nothing is free.

I've paid $5 at the butcher's for a bone for my dog before...no meat on it. Andy is right...nothing is free in our country....not even freedom

Parson's Nose
Pope's Hat

I save it for stock.

:LOL: When I was a kid I always thought the chicken back (with tail attached) looked like a turtle, so we always called the tail the turtle head.

:)Barbara

I've paid $5 at the butcher's for a bone for my dog before...no meat on it. Andy is right...nothing is free in our country....not even freedom

Especially not freedom....Thank God there are men and women who are willing to pay the price for us to have it. Don't take it for granted. (Climbing off my soapbox now.)

Here Butchers and Fishmongers give you the bones so as too retain good customers, in Wales unlike England everyone gets free prescribed medication.

Back
Top Bottom