"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 08-02-2010, 11:56 AM   #11
Senior Cook

We raised chickens when I was young. The gizzard, heart and liver usually just got cooked up with the rest of the chicken pieces. If not it was put cut up small and cooked with a dressing. I never ate them on their own only in dressing. So I am not any help on how they taste. However, the rest of the family did and there was always a fight for who gets the heart.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Especially at Thanksgiving, my sister and I would fight over the gizzard and heart. Mom would cook them, along with the neck, to make stock for the meal. They were simmered to death. A little salt and they were fantastic. Sis and I shared the gizzard and heart, Mom ate the neck.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:06 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Especially at Thanksgiving, my sister and I would fight over the gizzard and heart. Mom would cook them, along with the neck, to make stock for the meal. They were simmered to death. A little salt and they were fantastic. Sis and I shared the gizzard and heart, Mom ate the neck.
You're mom got the best deal Andy. I love turkey necks. Around the holidays I buy them by the package and boil them up. Ohhhhhh the flavor is just outstanding, and can make a whole meal with the meat from them piled high on top of leftover dressing or mashed potatoes, and drizzled with turkey gravy made from the broth.
Dang, wish I could find some turkey necks this time of year!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:21 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
You're mom got the best deal Andy. I love turkey necks. Around the holidays I buy them by the package and boil them up. Ohhhhhh the flavor is just outstanding, and can make a whole meal with the meat from them piled high on top of leftover dressing or mashed potatoes, and drizzled with turkey gravy made from the broth.
Dang, wish I could find some turkey necks this time of year!!
I agree! Now when I cook a turkey, I get the neck because no one else wants it!
Old 08-02-2010, 03:32 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeni78 View Post
I've decided I want to give these a try - grass fed, free range, no antibiotics/hormones chicken so I'm feel adventurous.

How do I cook these? Cooks Illustrated did me wrong (have to "upgrade" to see the receipe) and I'm not finding anything I feel is reliable...mixed reviews.

I've never made organ meat of any kind. I've never even had liver.

Thank you
Grass fed chickens?
I'm disappointed CharlieD didn't recommend a chopped chicken liver recipe.
IMHO next best thing is chicken livers fried in a little chicken fat with perhaps a little diced onion.
You might want to soak hearts in a little salt water and squeeze out any residual blood / blood clots. Stomachs should be washed and inspected to insure all of the lining has been removed. Stomachs and hearts can be simmered for 1/2 to 3/4 hours with some soup greens to make a broth. The meat can be eaten hot or refrigerated and eaten cold.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:19 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Thank you everyone! I think by the time I get home from work tonight I'll be hungry enough to give this a try!

Wish me luck in my little adventure. :)
Old 08-02-2010, 05:43 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Should be a walk in the park compared to Lutefisk.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:51 PM   #18
Master Chef

we poach, then dice organ meats for bread stuffing when making roast chix.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:41 PM   #19
Master Chef

Oh, Bill, I can recommend a lot of things using gizzards, but all of them are unhealthy.

Though I have to say, taste really good if cooked properly. Completely of topic here. I was in NY last week and went to ethnic Uzbek restaurant. I was served a calf liver on a stick so do speak, kind of like a kebab. The pieces of liver with pieces of fat on a skewer grilled directly on hot coals. I have to say it was awesome. I did not eat fat, but what it did it gave out his moisture to liver and made it really tender. Wow.
I’d be more than happy to post chopped liver recipe if anybody is interested.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:14 PM   #20
Head Chef

Bring on the unhealthy gizzard recipes, CharlieD! :) :)

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None