"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 08-04-2010, 01:40 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Let's not forget rumaki. A mock Asian dish:

Chicken liver and water chestnut wrapped in bacon (skewered with a wooden toothpick), marinated in soy sauce, ginger and brown sugar, then grilled or broiled until the bacon is crispy on both edges and the clinging sauce/marinade turns into a glaze.

I could never get enough of them! YUM!!!

Old 08-04-2010, 02:03 PM   #32
Master Chef

Hoot, sounds pretty trditional to me. The only thing I ersonaly have problem is fresh onions. I hate onions, but you really cannot cook without them. So I always make to make them invisible.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:50 PM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Let's not forget rumaki. A mock Asian dish:

Chicken liver and water chestnut wrapped in bacon (skewered with a wooden toothpick), marinated in soy sauce, ginger and brown sugar, then grilled or broiled until the bacon is crispy on both edges and the clinging sauce/marinade turns into a glaze.

I could never get enough of them! YUM!!!
Yep Selkie.....they were all the rage in the '60's and I forgot all about them!!!
Adding ingredients to my grocery list.......just gotta have them again!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:46 PM   #34
Master Chef

A favorite dish of mine when I was a child was what us kids called "lizards and gizzards." It was almost "free food" for a sergeant with four daughters, Mom really making ends meet. At the time, all whole chickens (I don't know if they even sold chicken parts in the commissary in those days) came with the innards stuffed in the cavity. Mom would toss these in a bag in the freezer: neck, gizzard, heart, liver. When she had a big bag of them, she'd stew them all day (hearts, necks, gizzards simmered all day, liver added at the end). When they were tender, she'd strain them and boil the broth until it got thick and sticky. It is very glutenous and rich from the gizzards. Then she'd boil egg noodles in the broth along with a bag of frozen vegetables.

She could sometimes get just gizzards or just chicken wings (remember, hot wings weren't invented, these were dirt cheap in those days) to supplement.

Each of us had something we especially liked. My sis loved necks. I loved liver. Daddy especially like gizzards. etc. Something for everyone.

A very hearty, rich meal for winter nights and a real bargain.

Tags
None