"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 09-07-2005, 10:38 AM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
Andy - a bad shot will pepper the small birds with shot...! You spend ages picking them out of the flesh if you don't find them all before you cook them.
So what are you supposed to do? Aim for their tiny little heads or hypnotise them or convince them to surrender so you can cook them up?

Old 09-07-2005, 02:23 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I don't know! I always avoid shooting when we visit friends who DO..... I don't mind cooking the spoils, but I won't pluck and clean them!

Old 09-08-2005, 09:25 AM   #13
Master Chef

The best game bird I've ever tasted is quail. Southern Illinois used to be full of them, but now they are mostly gone now. Grandma used to fry, then steam them a bit to make them tender, and served them with mashed potatoes, quail gravy and bisquits. We found an occasional shot, but she usually got them all out.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:26 AM   #14
Master Chef

Indeed; A good choke and knowledge of you shotgun will result in less shot entering the body. My Dad taught me to shoot them in the head, while they were walking about picking gravel. You are also supposed to lead them when shooting them on the wing. However, since grouse tend to fly away from you, usually putting trees between them and you, this is difficult.

We used to walk the trails, and so found our grouse on the ground. That's when I used to get them.

I don't hunt much anymore. I haven't the time, and I'm not fond of killing things. But I do enjoy meat and so am not opposed to hunting or fishing. But I make sure to be thankful for the food given me, after the traditions of my Native heritage. Although, I did so even before I new much about my Native heritage. It's a spiritual thing I guess. And Spiritual things have been important to me since I was a young child.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 09:29 AM   #15
Master Chef

Goodweed, those times you spent hunting with your dad must be very special to you. Some children never have that.

The spiritual feeling you speak of is something I feel also. In my case, I think it comes from being a grower. When you spend time with the sun on your neck and your hands in the dirt...when you plant thousands of seeds and raise them from tiny specks to big healthy plants that provide beauty and food for so many people...when you find your own piece of land, and nurture little corners of beauty with bulbs and plants that come back to give you joy year after year...you tend to feel one with Mother Earth.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:59 AM   #16
Executive Chef

My father hunted deer and shot birds when I was a girl. I NEVER went on the shoots, just didn't want to kill anything. It didn't mean I had any difficulty in eating what my mother cooked from his trips!

Same today - I choose not to shoot. I have an almost phobic dislike of guns. I put it down to coming from an Army family.
Rules in the UK are now so stringent that even hunters have difficulty in getting their permits approved.

My granny's farm was in the Highlands. It is now my uncle's home and he still hunts, shoots and fishes - and I always come home laden with produce - but I still don't like to watch him cleaning the guns!

Tags
None