G'ma Connie's Chicken & Dumplings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
Chicken and Dumplings, Southern Illinois Style

Down here, we roll our dumplings...guess you'd call them noodles.

INGREDIENTS:
1 chicken, boiled, boned and cut up
4 qts broth from chicken
2 eggs
3 cups flour
1 tbl dried parsley, or 1/4 cup fresh chopped Italian parsley
few drops yellow food coloring
salt, pepper

DIRECTIONS:
Season chicken broth to taste with salt, pepper, parsley and a few drops yellow food color. If there isn't enough liquid to make 4 qts, add canned broth or water. Break eggs in 2 cup measure, beat, and add enough cooled broth to fill cup. Mix well. Put 2 cups flour in large bowl, make a well in center, and add egg mixture. With a fork, work in flour till dough forms a a ball. Put on floured pastry cloth or board. Knead lightly, working in just enough flour so the dough can be rolled. Too much flour will make the noodles tough. Roll out as thin as possible. Using a pizza cutter dipped in flour, cut dough in 1-1/2" strips, then cut the other way to make squares, dropping into boiling broth as you go. After all are in, cook over med heat at a gentle simmer till almost tender, about an hour. Add chicken and continue simmering until chicken is warm. Adjust seasoning.
*note* You may freeze uncooked noodles on cookie sheet between layers of waxed paper, then remove to a ziplock bag when frozen. Just drop frozen noodles into boiling broth when needed.
*For a more flavorful broth, cook chopped celery, onions, carrots and minced garlic along with chicken and let simmer till chicken is falling of the bone. Strain broth before using if you wish.

Attachments

• chicken and dumplings.jpeg
    chicken and dumplings.jpeg
    43.1 KB · Views: 199
My Mother-in Law made hers like that..a lot of things she made are gone forever. DH's sisters didn't pay attention and now wish they had.
Marge

Dove, I've made a cookbook for my kids, with all the old recipes I've collected from family and friends, from my great-aunt Velma's soft sugar cookies to my Grandma's sunshine pie, to Dorothy Jean's chicken casserole and Aunt Beth's pot roast.
I did the recipes on print shop, with assorted backgrounds and pictures of the dish, printed them up on both sides of cardstock, put them in plastic sleeves, then into a ring-style scrapbook, with room for more recipes. I made a cover for front and back, titled "food of Love" on the front, and my picture and the date on the back...both on a country quilt print background, and slipped them inside the clear poly cover.
Every Christmas, one of thier gifts is a bundle of new pages for the recipe book.
My husband wants me to publish it, and maybe I will, if I ever get done with it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom