"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 11-03-2007, 04:05 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Goose

I'm getting a 15 lb fresh goose for Thanksgiving and would some ideas for ways to prepare it. Any suggestions.

Martha

Old 11-03-2007, 04:46 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Miss Martha I've never cooked a goose, but I would guess that just about anyway you can cook a turkey would work just fine!

Have Fun!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:01 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Goose and Prunes

Found a receipe that uses a prune sauce with chestnuts but I'm concerned that all my guests would get the runs.

Don't know if cooking prunes into a sauce renders them harmless or not!

Thanks, Martha
Old 11-03-2007, 05:15 PM   #4
Master Chef

My family has had roast goose for Xmas as long as I can remember (much longer before it became so de rigeur), & I've been making it myself for Xmas for the last 30 years or so.

I can't recommend highly enough Julia Child's steam-roasting method as outlined in her The Way To Cook cookbook. You can probably find the recipe online. It's the only way I roast goose these days. Comes out perfect everytime, & the accompanying Port Wine gravy is to die for.

I know many people like prunes with goose, but to me it's "blech", as is "stuffing". I just love the plain roasted goose with the Port Wine gravy, which also makes a lovely accompaniment to the Czech bread dumplings & sauerkraut that I also serve with the bird.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:11 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I love roast goose, wehad a really good recipe where it was marinated overnight before roasting and it was wonderful. Unfortunately the recip has been destroyed in our house fire. I did find this recipe from Gordon Ramsey.

BBC Good Food | Recipes | Gordon's Christmas roast goose

Don't forget to save the rendered fat for excellent roast potatoes.
Ray
Old 11-03-2007, 06:33 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post

I can't recommend highly enough Julia Child's steam-roasting method as outlined in her The Way To Cook cookbook. You can probably find the recipe online. It's the only way I roast goose these days. Comes out perfect everytime, & the accompanying Port Wine gravy is to die for.

This one? Steamed Roast Goose

Lee
Old 11-03-2007, 06:44 PM   #7
Master Chef

Madeira doesn't figure at all in Julia's last edition of The Way To Cook. The goose is steam-braised in dry red wine (burgundy or equivalent), & the gravy is made from Port.

Apparently Julia thought better of it & switched the wine of choice to Port. Which is really the better choice, as Port is definitely less "intense" than Madeira.

(Edited after I realized that Julia had originally used Madeira in her recipe before realizing the error of her ways in her later editions of her cookbooks - lol!!!!)
Old 11-03-2007, 06:55 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the steamed goose receipe. Do you still get the rendered fat? Goose fat is like the best thing in the world to me except for Fois Gras. It keeps in the frig for a really long time and is wonderful for cooking certain things. I also found a receipe for a Port Sauce that is reduced and doesn't require cornstarch or flour. I think I have enought to do some real damage now and appreciate all the feedback from everyone.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:00 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Didn't find the receipe with wine and port that was quoted...

For the Steamed Goose, but I found lots of copy cats that said that they were reprints of Julia's recipes. I think I can probably figure something out. After reading about 200 goose receipes, there are some basics for me to follow.

Tags
None