Grilled Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lisagail5

Assistant Cook
I am looking for a low fat grilled chicken recipe. I am tired of using bottled marinades. Please give me suggestions that would feed only two people.
Thank you for your help.

Consider using a dry spice rub instead of a marinade for your chicken.

Breasts provide the leanest meat. As a result, it can be dry if overcooked. You can help prevent this by brining the chicken before cooking. Overcooking is the major reason chicken (or any other food) is dry. Use a meat thermometer to ensure the chicken is cooked enough but not overcooked. Chicken is safely cooked at 161ºF. You don't need to cook it more than that.

Also consider using chicken breast halves with the skin and bone still attached. they will help keep the meat moist. You can remove the skin and toss it after cooking. Any fat from the skin will run off. It doesn't get absorbed into the meat.

+1

Citrus juice or concentrate, low sodium soy sauce, or a combo along with some spices and herbs can work as a marinade. Don't let chicken sit too long in citrus, it'll disintegrate.

Last edited:
In a gallon ziplock bag I put the juice of a lemon, about the same amount of olive oil, couple teaspoons oregano, couple cloves crushed garlic, salt and pepper. Put in the chicken and smoosh around, let set for at least 30 minutes, grill.

This is full of flavor. Oil doesn't soak into meat so it won't add much fat at all.

Smouldering Kabobs

This is a derivative of my Smouldering Chicken Thigh recipe. It uses a marinade that sounds ridiculously hot. But it comes out mildly spiced, but with a great pepper flavor. If you want, you can add water to the marinade to thin it out a bit. Here's how I make it.

Marinade:
1/3 cup Sriracha brand Hot Sauce
2 tbs. Tabasco Pepper Sauce
1 tbs. good soy sauce
1/4 cup of water

Remove the meat from five chicken thighs, or breasts. Cut into a 1 inch dice. Place into the zipper bag with the marinade. Place in the fridge for 20 minutes.

10 minutes before the time has elapsed, fire up the charcoal. When the fire is just about hot, skewer the chicken with cherry tomatoes, chunks of your favorite peppers, and pineapple.

Grill directly over the hot coals until the chicken is lightly browned. Serve with a good col slaw, and fresh fruit.

Another great way to use chicken is to soak in buttermilk, coat with the following flour mixture. It'll awaken your love of chicken:

Chief Longwind's Bull Dog Chicken
Preheat the oven to 375' F.
In a bowl, combine the following with a wire whisk.
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. granulated garlic powder
1/8 tsp. powdered ginger
1/2 tsp. marjoram
1/4 tsp. rubbed sage
1/4 tsp. ground thyme
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. tumeric
1/8 tsp. red pepper
1 dash Chinese 5-spice powder
1/8 tsp. celery seed
1/4 tsp. granulated onion powder
Heave frying pan with 3 inches of oil

Preheat the oil until fragrant. Turn heat to medium.
Preheat the oven to 360' F.

Make an egg wash from two whole eggs, and 1/2 cup of milk. Dredge the flour in the egg wash, then in the seasoned flour mixture. Shake off excess flour, and place into the hot oil, no more than three pieces at a time. Lightly brown both sides, then place onto a foil-lined cookie sheet. When all chicken is fried, place the cookie sheet into the oven and bake for forty minutes. Serve hot with your favorite sides.

My 2nd effort while trying to create the perfect fried chicken, I put together this recipe. It was, and is the best seasoned flour recipe I've ever made. I share it with you.

So good!

Heat three inches of oil in a heavy pan.
Preheat oven to 375' F.

Again, whisk the following ingredients into a bowl:
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup uncooked farina (cream of wheat)
1 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. red pepper
1/8 tsp. ground cumin
Egg-wash
Follow the same cooking technique as in recipe number 1.
I've given this recipe to a few people who swear by it, and use it as their go-to recipe. One man went so far as to tell me that it's the only recipe he will now use. Me, I'll keep trying new things. If I don't I will just stagnate. But I will still keep making this recipe every now and again.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
I simply baste my chicken with melted butter and lemon juice as it is cooking. Keep your heat low as the butter will burn (and flame) but it makes delicious chicken whether bone in or breasts.

Try brining the chicken before grilling. Supposedly, the marinade used for this chicken serves as a brine as well.

http://www.marilyn.ca/Cooking/segment/Daily/July2013/07_22_2013/ChimichurriChicken

I'm waiting to try it when the corn is ready (another 7-10 days--can hardly wait!). Roadside corn is ready, but with six 100 ft rows in the garden, I can't justify buying corn-on-the-cob. Besides, I'm partial to very, very fresh corn.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom