Grilled Chicken help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
:chef: I want to cook 2 whole chickens outside on the gas grill tonight. I checked the archives, but found nothing like what I want.
I'm looking for a recipe where you split the chicken in half and lay it on the grill. Does that make sense?

Anyway, I hope someone can help - Rainee, are you out there?:)

You take some kitchen shears or poultry shears and remove the backbone like this:
sptch6.jpg

It's called "spatchcock"...yes... really it is :)

Then press down to flatten (squish) them a bit... season with a rub or whatever you want.. and toss them or it on your grill... this is on my kamado and is indirect heat even though it doesn't look like it. So I recommend pretty much indirect heat (if you're using charcoal, bank it all to one side and toss your chicken on the other.. or if gas, turn off one side and put the chicken on the side you turned off... using a drip pan or folded foil underneath is a good idea).
spatch.jpg

Probably take a bit over an hour to cook... I'd check at an hour to see how they're doing.

Lutzzz, the chicken came out beautifully!
I used a mixture of chipotle, salsa seasoning and garlic garni for the rub.

Thanks again for your quick help. I'll be using your technique quite often now.

Jkath... that's GREAT!
I'm glad you liked it... I found it's a pretty neat, simple, way to cook a chicken without overcooking any part.. and it's about the only time I don't brine chicken either. They seem to stay nicely moist throughout.

BTW... Spatchcooking works great for those little "Cornish" game hens too... my cat Lucy especially likes them and will steal one off my plate if I'm not looking :)

Back
Top Bottom