"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 03-14-2009, 05:43 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

That's a good idea but slightly more cleanup because you have both the pan and the slotted broiler top. :P It's all good though...will have to try the broiler pan method tomorrow night.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:49 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterAtwood View Post
That's a good idea but slightly more cleanup because you have both the pan and the slotted broiler top. :P .
Not at all!!! Regardless of what I'm cooking, I ALWAYS line the bottom broiler pan with aluminum foil. As for the slotted top, I give it a quick spritz with spray cooking oil beforehand, & then just let it soak overnight afterwards in hot water. Cleans up in a breeze.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:52 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Breaded and fried chicken wings are a great snack. They can be labor intensive, but for my taste buds it is worth it. Best way is either buy a box of pre-mixed breading or mix your own in a bowl (flour and lots of spices) to bread the wings. Dip them first in eggs you have beaten and then cover with the breading. Important: fry slowly. Don't be in a hurry. Get a nice brown on them, but be sure they are done.

All time best way is to marinate them in either a store-bought BBQ sauce or your own mixture. I marinate mine overnight. Then grill them. Again, this is labor intensive, but the flavor and crunch is just wonderful. You have to constantly keep turning the little suckers, or they will burn on the outside and not get cooked in the inside. I start at the first wings I put down and just turn in the order I put them on the grill until they are all turned. Then I start all over with the first ones, etc.. I don't add marinade until they are all almost done, or everything will just be burnt.

I love to barbecue, so it is worth the effort to me. P.S.: mine are always spicy hot! There are never any left overs. Just put a few bowls out with Ranch Dressing and be sure to remind everyone that 'double dipping' is verboten.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:12 PM   #14
Head Chef

hey, give it a whirl. Grill them then fry them and see what happens!
Opinons are great, but experimenting is more fun!
Old 03-15-2009, 03:16 AM   #15
Executive Chef

This is good advice for life, not just cooking.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:51 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterAtwood View Post
We eat alot of chicken wings, especially during football season.

Set oven to 400F. Place wings on a thin baking sheet and stick it in the middle of the oven. Bake for about an hour, maybe slightly more and drain the wings two or three times during the course of cooking.

In a small cup place a fat pat of butter and about 1/8 cup of Frank's Hot Sauce. Toss into the microwave for 30 seconds or so and melt the butter, then give a little stir. You could add some garlic if you want to but we never bother.

When the wings are crispy enough to suit you, remove and immediately brush with the the sauce.

That's it! These are as good as most of the wings you get at restaurants and they are probably healthier. If you are eating low carb then this is a great low stress dinner item. The bottoms get a very nice crispy layer where they stick to the pan, just delicious!
That is exactly how I make them - first I marinate them and then
bake them - never had one left on the serving platter after a get-together.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:53 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Well Peter and Mike, that is certainly a much less labor intensive way of probalby getting the same result: nice crunchy chicken wings. If I get too tired to go the old-fashioned way, I may just give it a try. But I will of course always continue to use the one and only best hot sauce in the world - Tabasco!

Tags
None