"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 05-24-2010, 04:27 PM   #31
Sous Chef

I may have said this earlier: I find that using a good bit of garlic compliments this meat quite well. Not sure why this pungent works. if you like garlic at all, give it a shot.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:26 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

My family does not like turkey.I like a slice of it at Thanksgiving for a sandwich, but any type of ground meat makes me gag. so NO ground turkey for anything.
kades

Old 05-25-2010, 12:15 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

we use ground turkey in place of beef in just about every one of our regularly made dishes with the exception of burgers. i just can't stand a white hockey puck instead of a real beef burger, no matter how it's spiced. oddly, though, i don't mind turkey meatloaf, or turkey kjott-kaker (norwegian salisbury steaks).

my wife makes italian style meatballs in tomato sauce that have fooled many of my co-workers (including the italian and italian wanne-be's) thinking that they were the traditional beef/veal/pork mix of meats.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:19 PM   #34
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I don't use it at all.
me neither. at least, not lately. and when I have, I buy turkey and grind it myself. Like ground beef, the preground, prepackaged stuff can have just about anything in it, and I'm not "fer" that.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:19 PM   #35
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
me neither. at least, not lately. and when I have, I buy turkey and grind it myself. Like ground beef, the preground, prepackaged stuff can have just about anything in it, and I'm not "fer" that.
So as a caterer June you never use it??? Or do you personally never use it???
Old 06-03-2010, 11:59 AM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post
So as a caterer June you never use it??? Or do you personally never use it???
I am no longer a ceterer, Mimi, but no, I would not use it in any case, unless I had ground it myself. Unfortunately, as with already ground beef, the quality of ground turkey sold in most markets is questionable.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:12 PM   #37
Head Chef

Quote:
I am no longer a ceterer, Mimi, but no, I would not use it in any case, unless I had ground it myself. Unfortunately, as with already ground beef, the quality of ground turkey sold in most markets is questionable.
I'm with you on that June... I almost always get my meats from whole foods, or fresh market, not only is it better quality but I get the amount I need, not the amount in the styrofoam...
Old 06-04-2010, 09:14 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
i'm just curious, but what is questionable about it, and where might one get facts supporting that?

i'm interested as we eat ground turkey every week, and i'd rather not feed my family something unhealthy.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:11 AM   #39
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i'm just curious, but what is questionable about it, and where might one get facts supporting that?

i'm interested as we eat ground turkey every week, and i'd rather not feed my family something unhealthy.
some of it is processed, as ground beef is, with byproducts ground fine and washed with ammonia.

Marion Nestle (Professor of Food Science at NYU), in her book "What to Eat," suggests that grinding one's own meat is safest as then you can be sure what is (and isn't) in it. and that was before I knew about the ammonia stuff!

OTOH, if you are in a meat section or butcher shop where they are willing to grind the meat in front of you, that's a safe bet, as well.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:28 AM   #40
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post

I wouldn't fret at all, buckytom. I've yet to grind my own meat -- beef, turkey, or any other. I, too, buy both packaged ground beef and ground turkey all the time.

Tags
None