"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Old 04-01-2010, 07:56 PM   #1
Senior Cook
Ground turkey, do you use it?

its pretty much the only ground meat i use, that and ground pork. i havn't bought ground beef in a good 10 years. i use the stuff in anything that i would use ground beef for.

97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
Senior Cook
Yep. In tacos and chili mostly.

JamesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:49 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef
I don't use it at all.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:02 PM   #4
Certified Cake Maniac
I haven't used it in awhile, but I have used it in a cordon bleu roll I often make, as well as burgers. Though with the burgers I added relish, chopped green onions, Italian herb seasoning and a bit of tabasco to help give some moisture and flavour.
"Variety is not just the spice of life, it is the key to life" - Chef Michael Smith

LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:02 PM   #5
Head Chef
I've tried it 4 times in 2-3 years, and just do not like it at all.
Tastes funny to me.

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:44 AM   #6
Head Chef
I use it all the time in place of ground beef. Yes the taste is not the same but it has a lot less fat and that works for me. Here are things I use it in:

Ground Turkey and Peas curry - Spices that you use make a whole lot of difference in the end product. Given Indian food is laden with spices it works very well with ground turkey
Sheekh Kababs - I make these all the time and they are always a hit. Everyone I have shared these with, even those who don't like turkey enjoy them
Kofta Curry - Turkey meatballs instead of beef in a spicy, frangrant sauce
Meatloaf - Again I am Indian so my meatloaf is very different than the standard American version. In my version the turkey is marinated with fresh ginger, garlic, spices, breadcrumbs, cilantro, mint, eggs, fried onions and then I put some more beaten egg to cover the top and bake it. I even fool my die hard beef lover husband that it is not beef
I also make omelettes/frittata with left over ground turkey and veggies and cheese. It's just as flavorful as the beef version
Yakuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:16 PM   #7
Master Chef
Oh, yeah, I make turkey meat ball soup, my interpetation of an idea I got on Iron Chef, everybody loves it here.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:47 PM   #8
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by Yakuta View Post
I use it all the time in place of ground beef. Yes the taste is not the same but it has a lot less fat and that works for me.
Yakuta -- what kind of turkey do you use? I find that extra-lean beef can have less fat than regular ground turkey. If you like the flavor of beef more, it's worth checking out :)

That said, my default is ground turkey breast. I use it for tacos, meatballs, and even tomato sauce sometimes. Once in a while, I'll go for an extra-lean (1 gram fat/ounce) ground beef.

SNPiccolo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:28 PM   #9
Master Chef
I tried using it a few times, but decided I just don't like it at all.
Don't like the texture, or the flavor.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:48 AM   #10
Sous Chef
I had never been thrilled with the dry texture of the extra-lean ground turkey that I had been using; then I discovered that the regular ground turkey tastes better. I've never done a fat/calorie comparison, though, between it and the 4 percent fat ground beef that I use and like.

suzyQ3 is offline   Reply With Quote