"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Old 01-31-2010, 09:25 PM   #11
Assistant Cook
Talking turkey jerky :)

I know what you mean, about strips of turkey...doesnt sound exciting LOL

As for the ground beef jerky, generally the recipes tell you to roll it out between plastic wrap, then slice it...non of which made me thrilled.

A friend of mine showed me the jerky he made using the jerky press I mentioned and its PERFECT. It all comes out mushed together in exact wide stips and thickness. If you want to make your own pepperoni stix it has that attachment too!
My son is into snowboarding so I like making him jerky to keep with him. The usual method is so time consuming that I dont make it often. Using the ground beef I can mix it up and press it out onto the racks in like 10 mins.

It really is exactly like the stuff from the store this way. lol can you tell I am a tad too excited about jerky??
I guess I am a gadget person. lol.

And no asbestos required!!!!! LOL.

I put a link to the jerky gun thing on my first response but it came out looking like an ad...if you google Nesco Jerky Works...you will find it. I bought mine at Home Hardware (BC). It was cheaper on the website there. lol figures.

Have fun!

amberella1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:44 PM   #12
Senior Cook
Great hobby.

Jerky is lots of fun to make and even more fun to experiment with.To me it is the ultimate blank slate.You can try differant things and techniques and you have to live with the final product.It is nothing like regular cookingThere are no changes you can make once the raw meat hits the marinade.You will be eating your mistakes or success for at least a week.Thanks! now I want to make some jerky and its not even Christmas again yet.

wanna be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #13
Assistant Cook
Talking jerky lol

You know thats the best thing about making the jerky with that lil press...you mix it, press it out onto the racks and turn it on. You are done in about a half hour max. Then you wait...mine took 4 hrs in our machine. I have to go hide it all now so that my roomie stops eating it lol.

I used

1 lb ground xtra lean beef
1 T worchester
1 T brown sugar
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp cracked black pepper
1/4 tsp ginger powder

I used one of the curing packets from the jerky kit tho instead of adding pickling salt. I think I will go look for the actual container of curing salt now...the taste of this jerky is amazing. I will attach a pic of the last batch (hopefully lol).
I used the little pepperoni maker tip and the flat one to see how they come out.
Love them! dunno if the link below works but if so it will show you what the jerky turned out like.
Picasa Web Albums - amber

Now I am going to buy ground turkey.

amberella1964 is offline   Reply With Quote