Harry's waterbath chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We grew it last year. The variety we had turned green when cooked. I was disappointed--I wanted it to stay purple. Harry--do you know what variety you had? I'd like to plant it next year if it will stay purple when cooked.
it was "tesco" variety cw:LOL:!!it came in a pack of purple,green & white cauli & just said"colourful brassicas" on it. don't know but it looked very much like the one in the link that i posted for hoot to gets seeds.
i did steam the veg so,maybe,that helped with the colour matey?

Beautiful, H! Love the colorful vegetables. The pale green looks like romanesco broccoli. Does it taste more like cauliflower or broccoli? So cute. Makes me think of little Christmas trees. lol

Last edited:
I'm wondering about the safety of eating chicken that hasn't gotten hotter than 100C. :doh: D'oh! That's plenty warm enough. I'ts 212F. I was thinking it has to get to 160 to be safe, but it does. I was mixing Fahrenheit and Celsius.

Harry, I've never done this so pardon my ignorance. Have you ever measured the temp of the cooked chicken? Simmering water should be near 200º F (90ºC-95ºC). Seems to me the chicken would end up cooked to that temp. too. What am I missing.
well...."here's harry!" so the chicken didn't get me....or my dinner date!
good points tho' both.so:
a)if it's good enough for m roux jnr,one of the finest chefs in the world imho,then it's good enough for me!
b)the sealed bag creates a mini "pressure cooker" effect,the chicken is also in contact with water @95-100c through the bag & the lid on creates a steam bath too.all this gets the heat into the chicken quicker
c)by using a bag you can "squeeze & prod" test throughout cooking
d)nope andy,never tested fot temp but,after resting(me & the chook!!)because you joint rather than carve you can see the meat is cooked right down to the bone & the juices are clear.
e)not missing anything andy,mate.i'm sure the chicken does hit 200f & maybe a tad less deeper in the meat but this method gives you the moistest,tenderest & tastiest chook i've ever tasted!!
harry

Beautiful, H! Love the colorful vegetables. The pale green looks like romanesco broccoli. Does it taste more like cauliflower or broccoli? So cute. Makes me think of little Christmas trees. lol

christmas trees?looks more like the commom flu virus under a microscope C:LOL:!!
thanks C & yes it was romanesco broccoli.it was delicious too.tasted like "nutty" cauliflower to me.i think the trick is to steam the veg too,retains colour,flavour & texture....maybe not the best technique in 107f heat tho' matey??!!!

christmas trees?looks more like the commom flu virus under a microscope C:LOL:!!
thanks C & yes it was romanesco broccoli.it was delicious too.tasted like "nutty" cauliflower to me.i think the trick is to steam the veg too,retains colour,flavour & texture....maybe not the best technique in 107f heat tho' matey??!!!

:LOL:
104 today. I could put it on the roof of the car with some garlic & bake/roast it. ;-) Thanks, H. Gawgeous.

Last edited:
pretty good recipe harry -- and using nary any punctuation and no capitals at all except for the part where you were screaming about food safety! :) and very thrifty on your use of spaces(evidently parentheses suffice):LOL:

i think 165f should do it to cook poultry safely... and i think 165f is about the right time to stop too -- the point where safety meets up with succulence imo

eta -- oops you runed it(THE METHOD)
HeE HeEyOu.AnD youR Bl**dY caPs ShIft gReg.....see,i can't get the 'ang of it mate!
both you & i know the importance of food safety in cooking techniques/recipes don't we me old mucker..........;)?!!
i'm sure the chook goes over 165f greg but,as i said in my reply to tax/andy,there is something almost magical about this method.the meat was firm but tender,moist & soooooooooo tasty:yum:!
give it a go greg!

greg, did i miss the post where harry claimed to be a professional writer, journalist, or editor? there's a difference in our righteousness...lol.

nice recipe, harry my bhoy. i've been planning to hit up the local live poultry shop near my house, so i'd need a recipe that shows off the chook as best as possible. i think this may be the one. danke, mein herr.
....... i say old chap.. wine buff & photographer too,what what?
Ich freue alter Junge....& it really is a simple one too...gotta say...them frenchies knows about food....no contest their imo matey

Last edited:
by mentionng it, you are using a form of passive insult. your intentions might be different, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions... (one of my dad's favourite exoressions).

Aw common BT, it was a pretty extreme example of what Greg described. It looked like good natured teasing to me. If we can't rib our friends about something like that, then I dunno...

Or maybe you were just teasing Greg and I am being oblivious.

Our father's had one fav A pish un a fortz iz vi a khasene un a klezmer I think it is very profound.

i said i like his recipe! it's a righteous recipe
don't worry chaps,i know greg was kidding,he's been trying to get me to use caps shift for ages.Just For You Greg...There,Happy Now? bloody hope so mate,that little burst wore me out:LOL:!

it was romanesco broccoli

i had been wondering what the green things were,think i missed it in the ingredient list.did you ever notice how the shape looks fractal,kind of mandelbrot?spiraling in getting smaller and smaller

what were the purple things? i couldn't figure that out

don't worry chaps,i know greg was kidding....Just For You Greg...There,Happy Now? bloody hope so mate,that little burst wore me out:LOL:!

i knew you'd know i was kidding/teasing,and i know you're a good sport,but i think i'm suck in lc for this topic:)you have a very condensed style,and sure you appreciate parody as humor:)

Last edited:
i had been wondering what the green things were,think i missed it in the ingredient list.did you ever notice how the shape looks fractal,kind of mandelbrot?spiraling in getting smaller and smaller

what were the purple things? i couldn't figure that out
i knew you'd know i was kidding/teasing,and i know you're a good sport,but i think i'm suck in lc for this topic:)you have a very condensed style,and sure you appreciate parody as humor:)
surrealist broccoli? there's a thought greg.looking at cerises' pic it did remind me of some sort of microbe under a microscope,now i see either a green space capsule on re entry...the leaves are the flames or the spiral cutter on the front of one of those burrowing machines out of "journey to the centre of the earth"or an onion top roof off the kremlin.....oh boy...the lads are going to have a field day with me:ermm::ohmy::LOL:!!
the purple things were just purple cauliflower,steamed them so that they held their colour,but i steam most of me veg anyway.posted a link for hoot to get seeds.
i do indeed greg.....spotted the lack of caps shift straight away.....the trick is never to become a parody of oneself buddy.......;)!!

I like cauliflower. I'm intrigued by a purple strain that keeps its color when cooked, most lose their color, even if steamed AFAIK. It would be beautiful in a raw veg tray.

Last edited:
I love cauliflower, too - I've been buying and steaming purple (and orange) cauliflower for several years and have never had it change color....? It does get a little darker, though. I think I have an old pic of some steamed, I'll look for it - but it might be gone by now.

I love cauliflower, too - I've been buying and steaming purple (and orange) cauliflower for several years and have never had it change color....? It does get a little darker, though. I think I have an old pic of some steamed, I'll look for it - but it might be gone by now.

I like cauliflower. I'm intrigued by a purple strain that keeps its color when cooked, most lose their color, even if steamed AFAIK. It would be beautiful in a raw veg tray.

i never knew there was purple cauliflower!

cauliflower is one of the very few vegetables i dislike
cauliflower is one of my all time faves.....love it in curry,cauliflower cheese...yum & finely sliced on the mandolin & fried...heaven.
if you want yellow cauli then just put some turmeric in the boiling water with white cauli....the taste works well with the cauli too.
as i said earlier,i steam most of my veg & as you say cheryl i'm sure that has a lot to do with the colour holding or maybe you've just been unlucky with the variety you used dawg?
try frying it greg,it does take on a different flavour mate

Back
Top Bottom