Harry's waterbath chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Cobean

Executive Chef
there is nothing new about "sous vide" my fellow gastronauts,french chefs have been cooking food in waterbaths for centuries.originally,and occasionally now they use pigs bladders.i saw michel roux jnr cook this on tv & have always wanted to have a go.it is served at la gavroche in london & cooked in a pigs bladder,the chicken is poulet de bresse & they use truffles.i can only dream of dining at gavroche,can't afford bresse chicken or truffles & you try buying a dried pigs bladder:ermm:! i used a cooking quality food bag DO NOT USE ANY PLASTIC/POLYTHENE BAG THAT DOESN'T SAY IT IS SAFE FOR COOKING,a corn fed f/range chicken & chestnut mushrooms/truffle flavoured oil.it is the best tasting/most moist chook i have ever eaten.my ingredients for two people were:
a)1.2kilo(2.25-2.50lb)corn fed free range chook
b)2 or 3 chestnut mushrooms
c)35 grms(about 2ozs)dried porcini mushrooms
d)truffle flavoured oil
e)2 chicken stock gel pots
f)madeira,marsala or olorosso sherry...i used sherry
g)double(heavy)cream
THE METHOD
1)boil a kettle,allow water to cool a bit & pour over porchini's in a jug.about 500ml(0.75pint)
2)snip of wing tips,trim legs to knee joint & truss chicken well.you don't want a leg end or wing tip puncturing the bag
3)carefully slide fingers between breast meat & skin to loosen skin from meat.
4)mandolin/slice fresh mushrooms in wafer thin slices & drizzle with truffle oil
5)slide slices of mushroom between skin & breast
6)pour porcini's through a sieve lined with kitchen paper to catch grit,into a jug
7)pop the chicken,half the porcini's,a stock gel pot,a glug of your booze & a glug of porcini liquid in the bag & tie up tightly with string.
8)gently lower into barely boiling water then cook with lid on,turning bag occasionally for 1.25/1.5 hours.the water must only barely bubble a teensy weensy bit,so only just simmering.that is the art of sous vide.
8)while chook is cooking boil to reduce the reserved porcini liquid with the second stock pot,add a splash of booze,a glug of cream,simmer til shiny & coats the back of a spoon.
9)take chook out of bag,rest 10 mins,carve into portions not slices,pour over cream sauce,serve with veg of choice.i steamed baby carrots,colourful brassicas & put some girolle's in the sauce.
if you don't fancy doing the skin/meat/sliced mushroom thing then don't! just miss that bit out
sous vide?schmoo vide!!

Attachments

• WATERBATH CHICKEN 005.JPG
    WATERBATH CHICKEN 005.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 824
  • WATERBATH CHICKEN 006.JPG
    WATERBATH CHICKEN 006.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 227
  • WATERBATH CHICKEN 007.JPG
    WATERBATH CHICKEN 007.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 272
  • WATERBATH CHICKEN 008.JPG
    WATERBATH CHICKEN 008.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 238
  • WATERBATH CHICKEN 009.JPG
    WATERBATH CHICKEN 009.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 246
  • WATERBATH CHICKEN 010.JPG
    WATERBATH CHICKEN 010.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 250
  • WATERBATH CHICKEN 011.JPG
    WATERBATH CHICKEN 011.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 403
  • WATERBATH CHICKEN 012.JPG
    WATERBATH CHICKEN 012.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 221
  • WATERBATH CHICKEN 013.JPG
    WATERBATH CHICKEN 013.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 235
  • WATERBATH CHICKEN 014.JPG
    WATERBATH CHICKEN 014.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 220
  • WATERBATH CHICKEN 015.JPG
    WATERBATH CHICKEN 015.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 234
  • WATERBATH CHICKEN 016.JPG
    WATERBATH CHICKEN 016.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
Thanks for the steps and the video H :)
i would not detract from michel roux jnr's recipe,he is one of the best & has one of the best restaurants...la gavroche in london...in the world...imho.his father,uncle,brother & he are all top of their game but i believe i did his dish justice @ a fraction of the cost.....i don't think he'd object to that.

Great job Harry. Your recipe threads are always well done :).

I'm going to have to try this one out someday.

Thanks for the comments about my brothers food 40 c, what can I say apart from the food is from his heart.

Great job Harry. Your recipe threads are always well done :).

I'm going to have to try this one out someday.

wow!thank you .40.give it a go matey!! it's the first time i've cooked it & the flavour/succulence of the chook is truly fabulous.
next time i cook it i'm going to try a standard chook....i reckon this method would make any chicken taste good!!

I like the purple cauliflower...Never seen it afore..Reckon where I could find seed or sets for that. Might put in a fall/winter garden.
We grew it last year. The variety we had turned green when cooked. I was disappointed--I wanted it to stay purple. Harry--do you know what variety you had? I'd like to plant it next year if it will stay purple when cooked.

I'm wondering about the safety of eating chicken that hasn't gotten hotter than 100C. :doh: D'oh! That's plenty warm enough. I'ts 212F. I was thinking it has to get to 160 to be safe, but it does. I was mixing Fahrenheit and Celsius.

Harry, I've never done this so pardon my ignorance. Have you ever measured the temp of the cooked chicken? Simmering water should be near 200º F (90ºC-95ºC). Seems to me the chicken would end up cooked to that temp. too. What am I missing.

pretty good recipe harry -- and using nary any punctuation and no capitals at all except for the part where you were screaming about food safety! :) and very thrifty on your use of spaces(evidently parentheses suffice):LOL:

i think 165f should do it to cook poultry safely... and i think 165f is about the right time to stop too -- the point where safety meets up with succulence imo

eta -- oops you runed it(THE METHOD)

Last edited:
greg, did i miss the post where harry claimed to be a professional writer, journalist, or editor? there's a difference in our righteousness...lol.

nice recipe, harry my bhoy. i've been planning to hit up the local live poultry shop near my house, so i'd need a recipe that shows off the chook as best as possible. i think this may be the one. danke, mein herr.

by mentionng it, you are using a form of passive insult. your intentions might be different, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions... (one of my dad's favourite exoressions).

by mentionng it, you are using a form of passive insult. your intentions might be different, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions... (one of my dad's favourite exoressions).

Aw common BT, it was a pretty extreme example of what Greg described. It looked like good natured teasing to me. If we can't rib our friends about something like that, then I dunno...

Or maybe you were just teasing Greg and I am being oblivious.

Our father's had one fav A pish un a fortz iz vi a khasene un a klezmer I think it is very profound.

Back
Top Bottom