"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Old 04-19-2009, 01:08 PM   #11
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by S.TX.Mum View Post
My husband prefers chicken breasts to thighs. No matter what recipe I have tried, the meat is always too dry for my taste. Is there a trick to keeping the breast meat moist and juicy?

Have you tried poaching them?

anything that does not kill me makes me stronger
mike in brooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:58 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I'm a fan of pounding chicken breasts fairly thin then quickly cooking. It doesn't even take 2 minutes on each side if pounded thin enough.

They key to boneless/skinless is fairly high heat and finishing in a hot oven. Also, a good brine can be nothing more than buttermilk. It's not like you are drinking ALL the buttermilk you are brining in...only a small portion seeps into the meat. It's well worth the effort to get the result. I brine boneless/skinless for 4 days. Cook on the 4th day. During the last day of brining you can add some fresh rosemary sprigs and garlic to it...creates a really nice flavor!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:35 AM   #13
Master Chef
Many of us use the IQF boneless-skinless for convenience, and it is really a chore to keep them from drying out. I never cook them in the oven, there is no way (for me) the middle will be cooked without the edges being jerkey. I agree with those who've said pound the middle, at least a little, and with high heat and a little olive oil.

Slice them and make either an Asian or Mediterranean stir fry. That way you quite literally put them in the skillet and take them out rather than serving them whole.

Slice them very thin and poach in low salt chicken broth and veggies, or if your family likes the exotic, broth and coconut milk with basil, lime, and peppers. herbs and spices are great antidotes for the no-salt-blues.

When I'm cooking anything out on the (charcoal) grill, when I take the meat and veggies (I always cook a bunch of onions, squash, etc when I'm doing ribs, steaks, or chops), I take whatever the IQF breasts I have in the freezer directly from the freezer, season them, throw them on the grill, and cover. We eat dinner and I go out and turn them. We clean up and I put them in foil and let them rest a bit. Into the fridge. I'm not sure why, but this leaves them very moist and succulent. I then use them in salads and various other preparations all week. I love grilled meat and it is nice to have some ready to go.

I recommend Cavender's Greek seasoning in the BLUE container (yellow has salt, blue is salt free) for a good general seasoning sans salt.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:08 PM   #14
Senior Cook
Been doing this a long time. I sent you three quick recipes in your message box.

linicx is offline   Reply With Quote