"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 12-25-2015, 11:32 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Help! Is this pheasant ok to eat?

Merry Christmas!

I'm about to start preparing a pheasant for Christmas dinner and discovered that it is discoloured in a few places. Quite black around on of the legs. I'm thinking it's fine but my wife thinks it's sketchy. Any pheasant experts have advice to share?

Thanks and merry Christmas!

Umo

Old 12-25-2015, 12:09 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Was the bird fresh or previously frozen? Smell the bird. If it smells bad it's not edible.
Peasants can have what looks like bruises. The method of processing these birds can cause bruising very easily. They must be put into a machine that basically rubs off their feathers at high speed.
Where did you get the bird from?

Old 12-25-2015, 12:10 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

In case that link isn't working - here's a picture.

https://goo.gl/photos/XRpQBv3SGrp1u1g26

Old 12-25-2015, 12:13 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Thanks a lot for your reply, that's helpful information. It's never been frozen as far as I'm aware. It smells funky, but I think that's just a normal gamey smell (I'm new to cooking game). I bought it from my local butcher yesterday, but didn't inspect it until today.
Old 12-25-2015, 12:33 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umo2000 View Post
Thanks a lot for your reply, that's helpful information. It's never been frozen as far as I'm aware. It smells funky, but I think that's just a normal gamey smell (I'm new to cooking game). I bought it from my local butcher yesterday, but didn't inspect it until today.
If you bought it from a butcher the chances are 100% the bird is fresh.
Give the bird a good wash under cold water and dry it well.
Here's how I cook peasant........of which I've roasted hundreds. They have all been wild birds but whether farm raised or wild the bird is essentially the same.
I do not put anything like butter of olive oil on the skin. Just a good rub of Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. I put a couple of lemon wedges in the cavity.
You may be surprised by how I roast the bird, any bird.
I am a 'low and slow' convert from many years ago when I owned a restaurant.
I preheat the oven temp at 200 degrees F. Yes 200 degrees. The bird goes in a roasting pan. A peasant is especially prone to being overdone and turn out dry.
I check the internal temp after 30 minutes. When the internal temp. is 150 F I remove the bird and tent it for 30 minutes lightly.
The bird at this point will look horrible. The skin is not crispy. Now crank up the oven temp to it's highest setting. Then turn the oven light on and put the bird back in the oven. Watch very carefully as the skin turns quickly into golden crispy.
Remove the bird and carve just before serving.
You'll need a gravy of sauce of some sort. I make a classic roux and use any pan drippings....if any and boiling water to make a gravy.
Old 12-25-2015, 04:54 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

It turned out really well, much more moist than I would have expected. That bruised meat had a different taste, but still edible. The roux was a nice idea, good use of the drippings. Thanks again.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:32 PM   #7
Master Chef

Glad to hear it turned out well Umo, and it's terrific you ran into our Puffin, who sure seems to know what he's talking about. I really hope you stick around DC to share your cooking adventures.
We roasted domestic ducks for the Christmas feast, does pheasant taste a lot different?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 02:00 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Help! Is this pheasant ok to eat?

So pleased it worked for you, Umo! I've done pheasant breasts in the crockpot a few eons ago with nice mushroom gravy. They turned out quite good.

Thinking you can't go wrong with Puffin's instructions.
Old 12-26-2015, 04:26 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umo2000 View Post
It turned out really well, much more moist than I would have expected. That bruised meat had a different taste, but still edible. The roux was a nice idea, good use of the drippings. Thanks again.
Another story of success. The members of this forum love to give advice of cooking problems that they too have faced and found a solution that worked. So glad you came here to ask. Welcome to DC. And please, do come back often. Even just to chat.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:23 AM   #10
Senior Cook

I'm pleased the bird turned out well for you.
Welcome to the forum. There's lots of really good 'foodies' here with lots of expertise.
My daily routine always means visiting this forum every morning.

Tags
other, pheasant