"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 11-19-2006, 12:44 PM   #1
Cook

Help! make ahead gravy

I followed a recipe to make turkey gravy using turkey wings. We are taking dinner 'over the river and thru the woods'. I am not good at making gravy w/ a crowd chatting w/ me so I plan on taking 5 cups prepared. I'd have to cork the wine real real early w/ the stress of making gravy w/ no back up. So the 'gravy' I have is weak in flavor, real weak. Rescue me and the gravy, please.

Old 11-19-2006, 01:03 PM   #2
Head Chef

Can you get turkey base to add a touch to it? I use this brand http://superiortouch.com/btb.htm ; a store near you might have it although I have to order it from them online.

Old 11-19-2006, 01:29 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Sometimes when my gravy is a little weak... I add a packet of turkey gravy mix.. ( mixed up in a bit of water first) .. but I always add some poultry seasoning, and some ground sage.. also you can add some chicken boulion to.. that should help a bit. In Ontario they also have this stuff called Bisto.. its kinda like gravy granules.. it adds flavor and thickens to. Anyways.. there is some hints on cheating making home made gravy :)

Good luck!
Old 11-19-2006, 01:32 PM   #4
Cook

I wish there was a turkey gravy mix that did not have MSG. I will check out the link shunka gave me. thanks.

I just checked out the link from Shunka. I have that in chicken and beef. I had no idea they had turkey so will start the search. It is a wonderful product. Thank you.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:10 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Before I make my gravy, I make a stock base out of turkey necks. Here's what I do.

2 lbs. turkey necks, cut into 3-in. sections
2 to 3 cups homemade rich chicken stock
3 Tbsp. canola oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil until it just begins to shimmer. Add turkey necks and season with salt and pepper. Cook necks in the oil until nicely browned on all sides. Remove from heat and add chicken stock. Cover tightly and put in preheated 350 degree oven and bake for about 1 hour and 30 minutes, turning necks occasionally. You may have to add a little water during cooking.

Remove from oven, leave lid on, and allow to cool to room temperature. When cool, remove neck segments, scrape down sides of pan and pour liquid into a measuring cup to add to gravy. You should have about 2 cups of very rich, bronze-colored turkey stock.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:12 PM   #6
Cook

Are turkey necks available at the supermarket? I have never looked nor noticed.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:23 PM   #7
Head Chef

It all depends on your area if the necks are available. I cannot get them here unless I call a couple of weeks ahead of time. And even then it is very iffy. Katie E's recipe is the prime one!!!!
Old 11-19-2006, 07:48 PM   #8
Master Chef

Next time, try browning your chicken wings in a little butter and olive oil before you add the liquid and let them simmer. That caramelization will give you a lot of extra flavor. If you use water for your liquid, be sure to use plenty of salt, and let simmer until reduced by half.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:08 PM   #9
Cook

I baked the wings for an hr @ 400 degrees to get them brown first. What I think I did wrong was add too much water in the simmering stage. I have cooked it down to a more concentrated amount but still . . . I remember as a young bride I was convinced when I was an old woman (now 58) I would have gravy down!!!!
Old 11-19-2006, 11:22 PM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
If I do not have drippings from whatever was cooked for whatever reason, my quick out is stock/broth/bullion cube. If I use cubes, I usually use about 1.5 cubes per cup of water. One isn't enough flavor, and two is too much flavor. Since it is usually for me and the missus, 3 cubes with 2 cups of water works.

I then add (unsalted) butter/flour in equal proportions until I reach desired thickness. I don't season with anything else as Mrs. Big Dog is not a fan of spices or herbs (mentioned on numerous occassion on DC as well). If that wasn't the case, depending on what was actually used, I may add some salt, but for sure some fresh ground pepper. There is more then enough salt in bullion, and usually broth, but with stock and some broths it can stand a bit more. I'd likely try some herbs as well.

Tags
None