"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 07-07-2009, 04:43 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Thumbs down Help me de-crappify this chicken

Hey guys!

So I made some really crappy chicken breast today...but I made a lot of it...and I need some ideas for how I can make it taste decent so that I can eat it for the rest of the week.

Here's what I did:

cut it into pieces
put some salt (not enough) and some curry (I don't know anything about the contents of the curry, it was given to me...but I don't think I used it right)
put it in a pot with cut up tomatoes, onions, and bell peppers, and cooked it

It came out tasting like nothing with a hint of curry.

Anybody got any ideas? Oh yeah, and they have to be ideas that don't take too long.....

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!

Old 07-07-2009, 05:23 PM   #2
Senior Cook

for super quick and easy, make some ramen noodles (any flavor will prob do, but you could stick with chicken) and throw in some of your chicken mixture....not exactly high brow, but i like to doctor up ramen noodles for an easy lunch and it sounds like what you made might work....you could always add more seasonings if you like

Old 07-07-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
Master Chef

chix noodle soup!- egg or kluski noodles, shred your chix, carrot, onions dices, celery, stock or base/water, black pepper, sage, parsley.

or chix with BBQ sauce sammiches!

chix & dumplings. chix & slipdowns. chix stew.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:49 PM   #4
Head Chef

You said you cut up some tomatoes ( onions, peppers..). Many times, its hard to reduce the fresh tomatoes down to a thick enough sauce to coat the other ingredients. Therefore. You may want to toss a tablespoon or two of tomtato past in there ( along with some salt and pepper to taste) to get more of a sauce effect. If it is too thick after doing this, then add a dropd of liquid ( water/ broth) until u get the consistency you desire. Then , serve over noodles, rice or whatever. You can also use canned tomatoes too along with the juice , and then cook until it reduces. Oh yeah, dont for get the garlic..

Im a vegetarian, so my advice may not apply, but im my head it seems like it would work.

good luck
Old 07-07-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
Everymom

Yep, tomato paste...couple of tbsps, garlic and maybe more spice? I'd toss some peppers in there too.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:21 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

First, I'd cut a couple of onions into thin slices and saute in olive oil in skillet until carmelized (low and slow) until golden brown and sweet. Then I'd boil up some whole wheat macaroni, or spaghetti. I'd take a large skillet (not teflon) and mix the onions, macaroni and your chicken under low flame, season to taste (salt, pepper, and curry). Add a little cornstarch mixed in water. Stir until everything combined.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:40 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Sounds like you need some liquid (unless I missed that somewhere). Add some chicken stock and some coconut milk. Heat it to marry all the flavors, throw in some cilantro, and serve it over rice. You can even leave out the coconut milk if you don't have it. Use water and a chicken cube if that's all you have instead of the stock. IMHO it needs liquid.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:55 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Add salt....Add curry....Add garlic.....Add heat (pepper)...Add a little liquid.

Have Fun!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:53 PM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Add salt....Add curry....Add garlic.....Add heat (pepper)...Add a little liquid.

Have Fun!
This is almost word for word what I was going to post.
UB I think you are the smartest guy around

If you already know you did not add enough salt then you will definitely want to add more. Food without proper salting will be bland. It is amazing what the correct amount of salt will do. I think adding a little heat is a great idea too. I would try something like crushed red pepper if you are someone who enjoys a little heat.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:52 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to bonniestylin
I'd add garlic salt, ground pepper, lemon juice and more curry. Otherwise, sounds like it should be good.

Tags
chicken, crap, curry, disaster, fast