"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 08-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
It may have been Turmeric too, that also makes rice go yellow
Good point!

Old 08-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #12
Head Chef

One of the essential spices in Middle Eastern cooking is cumin - The dishes may have had cumin powder and/or toasted cumin seeds.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:06 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by merstar View Post
Good point!
Cheers Merstar

Turmeric has the taste described too
Old 08-16-2013, 08:12 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Thank you!

Thank you all for the kind, friendly, and helpful replies!

These are all good thoughts. I know it wasn't cumin. I cook with cumin often and use it as a base for a dry rub on ribs.

@Munchies--Yes! Food is strongly linked to memory (and scent, taste) for me. My Dad is in poor health now, so recalling our dinners at Aladdin's somehow makes him feel closer. I lived 14 miles from my Dad until recently, when I moved to accept a job in Indiana. The 130 miles isn't super far, but I also can't drive over and eat dinner a few times per week.

I'm excited to have found this forum. Cooking is my favorite hobby. I like blogging about what I cook and eat, or just sharing on Instagram.

Recently I saw an article about how people using baking to show affection. That's me! :)

Here's the article:

How To Make A Crepe Cake: Slow Down And Win Hearts
Old 08-16-2013, 08:23 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyH View Post
Recently I saw an article about how people using baking to show affection. That's me!

How To Make A Crepe Cake: Slow Down And Win Hearts
Hey I really like that. I could totally do all the crepes. (I cook crepes often.) I have a housewarming party coming up soon. I have been planning on having most of it catered, but the crepe cake would make a nice center piece!
Old 08-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Stacy, welcome to DC
Old 08-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Fenugreek is used in Middle Eastern cooking as well. That could be the flavor you're looking for.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

@greg who cooks

I don't love Nutella--maybe you'll put something like whipped cream with hazelnut extract between the layers. Or the Nutella if you're more into it than me. Cocoa is my migraine trigger so I prefer other options.

I hope it's a lovely centerpiece either way!
Old 08-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #19
Executive Chef

I'm not a Nutella fan either. I'm a very freestyle amateur chef who thinks nothing of just changing any part of a recipe if I think my way will work better. Now that I have the idea of a crepe cake I can just go from there and use anything I like.

I like to "invent" my own recipes. Usually I'll find a couple dozen versions on the Internet and make notes of the common ingredients and select the differences and features that I like, and I'll end up with my own composite recipe. I cook it and keep tweaking it until it meets my criteria and is the best that I can make it. Then that's the recipe that I add to my collection.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I'm not a Nutella fan either. I'm a very freestyle amateur chef who thinks nothing of just changing any part of a recipe if I think my way will work better. Now that I have the idea of a crepe cake I can just go from there and use anything I like.

I like to "invent" my own recipes. Usually I'll find a couple dozen versions on the Internet and make notes of the common ingredients and select the differences and features that I like, and I'll end up with my own composite recipe. I cook it and keep tweaking it until it meets my criteria and is the best that I can make it. Then that's the recipe that I add to my collection.
That's pretty much what I do too. There is no point keeping minor ingredients if you just don't like them and they are not integral to the dish.

Tags
chicken, other