"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Old 02-17-2016, 11:37 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Ahh Haa....now I see why I don't like drums, only thighs.
I just pull the big pieces of meat off the drums and give the rest to DH

The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:17 PM   #32
Wine Guy
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I agree with most of what you've said, Steve, although I don't think seasoning overnight is necessary. I recently made a Mexican-style casserole for a potluck. I seasoned boneless, skinless breasts with fajita seasoning (with a few extra shakes of stuff) and let it sit for about a half hour before cooking them in a sauté pan. They had lots of flavor.
You're right. For me, I often get home late from work and don't have a lot of time to get dinner on the table. So I've just gotten into the habit over the years of doing a lot of my prep the night before or in the morning before heading out the door.

But yeah, I think 30-60 minutes for something like a chicken breast is fine.

Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:25 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire
I buy breast meat for Pirate. He likes to make cutlets from them for Chicken Cutlets Parm. Otherwise I would never buy them. Well, maybe for a quick chicken broth or soup. Or.....

I will cut up the breast real tiny, make a mixture of mayo, finely diced onion and celery, a small dash of mixed Italian seasonings with salt and pepper then add the diced chicken. Mix well, cover and let sit in fridge for 24 hours.

I simmer the breast on low until done. Very moist. Like most protein foods, low and slow.

I made this a couple of weeks ago. I had a half sandwich minus the crust, Pirate had two huge ones. What was left didn't last long. Every time one of us opened the fridge, had a spoon in hand and took a mouthful.

This also makes an excellent filling for stuffed tomatoes. One time I made this for Cherry tomatoes. Used my "Just A Dash" measuring spoon to scoop out the tomatoes. They were a hit at the Christmas party, but not worth all the work. One has to be dedicated to go that far. So not me.
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:39 PM   #34
Master Chef
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
There is a world of flavor difference between a piece of breast and a thigh, for both taste and texture.

Though you might be right, but Try to cook unseasoned dark chicken meat, then tell me how much flavor it had. I am obviously talking about proper seasoning, not only proper cooking.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:35 AM   #35
Sous Chef
I just tried a boneless, skinless chicken breast recipe last night that came out pretty good.

Take a can of cream of chicken soup and mix in an envelope of Italian dressing seasoning mix. Pour it into the crock pot and start on low. Also add 8 oz of softened cream cheese cut into chunks. When the cream cheese is soft enough to be blended into the soup mix, use a whisk and thoroughly blend it. Then drop in your chicken breast - it doesn't have to be thawed - and cook for 4 to 6 hours on low. I cooked my chicken breast for 6 hours last night and it came out very tender. This sauce mix will be more than enough for two to three breasts.

You can also add other spices to ramp up the flavor if you want. I added salt, pepper, and cayenne and next time I'll add some parsley and garlic powder as well.

I also tossed 4 Dutch baby potatoes into the crock pot with the chicken for the last two hours and those came out nice and tender too.

Here's another one, although if you don't want to eat the chicken skin, then maybe this recipe isn't for you, but it's good! I will occasionally get the bone in, skin on chicken breasts. Here they're called 'split chicken breasts' and they have them as cheap as $1.99/pound. What I like to do is salt the breast all over with kosher salt and then I put it in a pan or on a rack over a pan and cook at 400° for about 30 to 40 minutes, depending on the size. The high heat and the salt crisps up the skin and makes the chicken really juicy and tender. And it's delicious. I know it sounds like the chicken should be dry and tasteless after that long in the oven at that temperature, but it doesn't get that way.

rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote

chicken, chicken breast, other