HELP! Oven bit the dust...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
My ailing oven is today toast. New one comes tuesday. However I still need to cook for this family of 5 until then.:blink:
Today I planned on Cordon Bleu Casserole, I'm not feeling too well and didn't want to make the real deal. Well now I can't bake it, and the chicken really should get used today, as well as the ham slices. I really still want to eat Cordon bleu.... or something close. Any ideas?

Do you have a toaster oven or can borrow one for the weekend? I was without my oven for about 3 weeks this year and relied heavily on my toaster oven. I also used my crock-pot quite a bit. Perhaps you can use your crock-pot to prepare your casserole.

Wow you guys are fast!!!
Yes I have a crock pot and gas grill. I'm not sure how I would make it in the crock but I suppose indirect heat on the grill would have the same effect correct Andy?
It's under 6 inches of snow though.

First get a shovel...

Yes, indirect heat is the answer. Light one side and place the casserole dish on the other side on a cookie sheet. Bake as you would in your oven. After all, the gas grill is the same basic configuration as an oven. If your grill has a thermometer, try to adjust the heat to the right one for the casserole. It will fluctuate some but casseroles are forgiving.

I've got 4 burners on it, do you think lighting 1 on each side and putting the dish in between would cook more evenly than lighting 2 on one side, or does it not really matter?

Thanks!
Maybe DH is right, I should sit and crank the 'ol brain a bit before I decide I don't know anything. :)

Yeah I think the problem is that the flames on the bottom of your pan would burn it before it cooked it.

those old electric roasters (great for turkey or chili) work well as small ovens and I have one in my basement for such emergencies.

Do you have a toaster oven or can borrow one for the weekend? I was without my oven for about 3 weeks this year and relied heavily on my toaster oven. I also used my crock-pot quite a bit. Perhaps you can use your crock-pot to prepare your casserole.

It's all assembled and ready to go on the grill, but I was wondering, maybe you could look at this and see if a crockpot could be used somehow? It sounded good, I just didn't know how I'd convert it. :ermm:

Cordon Bleu Casserole - Allrecipes

I was wondering if one could d a version in a saute pan.

Take pounded out chicken and gently saute it. Not too much.

Then make a roulade with the ham and cheese.

Sear it a bit in the pan for color.

Then cover and let cook until done.

Just an idea and it might be a bit tricky, but it just might work.

Back
Top Bottom