"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 02-23-2015, 12:37 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffin3 View Post
Tell that to the tens of thousands of 'Sous Vide' fans.
The recommended cooking temp. of chicken for dark meat is 167 F.
You need to do some research on what temps. and times are used to kill bacteria.
Sous Vide Time and Temperature Guide | Science | ChefSteps
If you smoke a chuckie and want it to pull like pork, it will need to go between 210 and 215. It certainly will not be like rubber bands.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:58 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
If you smoke a chuckie and want it to pull like pork, it will need to go between 210 and 215. It certainly will not be like rubber bands.
And now you are going to address the issue of Sous Vide temps. visa vi chicken and bacteria .....right?

Old 02-23-2015, 12:59 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Tell that to the tens of thousands of 'Sous Vide' fans.
The recommended cooking temp. of chicken for dark meat is 167 F.
You need to do some research on what temps. and times are used to kill bacteria.
Sous Vide Time and Temperature Guide | Science | ChefSteps

Sous Vide is an entirely different technique than oven roasting. You are comparing apples and oranges.

For a whole lot of us, the recommended cooking temperature for dark meat is 170 or higher. Below that temp the ample connective tissue in dark meat hasn't softened and the collagen hasn't dissolved so the meat has a texture that many people find very unappetizing.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:01 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I've never really had any challenge roasting a whole chicken and have a number of recipes I use that I like, all for different reasons. However, last year I stumbled across a Better Homes & Gardens magazine recipe at the doctor's office that really intrigued me. I've made it several times, all with 100% success and all delicious.

You might be curious enough to try it. Check out this link for Classic Roast Chicken.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:17 PM   #15
Head Chef

I've never had a problem with roasting a whole chicken. I don't do anything fancy. Oven at 350 F. Coat chicken with whatever herb and spices you like. You can put herb or spiced butter under the skin for more flavor if you like. It also works well to brine the bird for a day before cooking, although I rarely bother.

I roasted a nice sized bird (nearly 5 pounds) last night just using rosemary, thyme and marjoram mixed into a melted butter basting sauce. It took about 1 hour 45 minutes to get the thigh to about 165 (measured with my Thermapen starting at about one hour), basting 3 times during the cooking. I then remove it from the oven and tent it with foil and let it rest for 1/2 hour to finish cooking wile I get the rest of the meal ready. Came out quite nice, tender and full of flavor. We have 2/3 of it left for something else tonight and at least one other meal after that. As soon as the weather cooperates, I'll be doing it on my grill with some smoke to add even more flavor.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:33 PM   #16
Head Chef

Here is some that I use, you can also use a "V" shaped roasting rack. The large is used for turkey on an outdoor stove and cooked on top of the burner!

Old 02-23-2015, 02:00 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Sous Vide is an entirely different technique than oven roasting. You are comparing apples and oranges.

For a whole lot of us, the recommended cooking temperature for dark meat is 170 or higher. Below that temp the ample connective tissue in dark meat hasn't softened and the collagen hasn't dissolved so the meat has a texture that many people find very unappetizing.
Yes it's a different technique but 167 F is 167 F any way you cook something. This was supposed to be about 'safe' cooking temperature.
Boiled/fried/roasted/grilled/ SV it's all the same basic principle.
Actually it's about how long a certain temp. is maintained to kill specific pathogens. There are thousands of sites explaining this on Google.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:13 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
And now you are going to address the issue of Sous Vide temps. visa vi chicken and bacteria .....right?
You have no clue what a chuckie is in low and slow smoking ....right?
Old 02-23-2015, 05:15 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
Here is some that I use, you can also use a "V" shaped roasting rack. The large is used for turkey on an outdoor stove and cooked on top of the burner!

I like the looks of your turkey roasting pan!

Last Thanksgiving I did my turkey in the oven using a Foster's oil can and it was sort of unstable. I wonder if I could use the insert from an angel food cake pan on a rimmed baking sheet. Hmm...
Old 02-23-2015, 06:12 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I like the looks of your turkey roasting pan!

Last Thanksgiving I did my turkey in the oven using a Foster's oil can and it was sort of unstable. I wonder if I could use the insert from an angel food cake pan on a rimmed baking sheet. Hmm...
I don't know why not AB. You'll likely never be able to use it again for Angel Food cake though. I hardly ever bake and I have one I've used maybe five times in the last 40 years to bake an AF cake, so I'm definitely going to use your idea on my next turkey!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicken, roast