"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 02-12-2013, 01:05 PM   #11
Master Chef

Consider brining them first. Adds flavor and helps keep them moist

Old 02-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #12
Master Chef

Roadster, with chicken breast you need not to be fancy, turn the grill on high let it preheat, season your chicken with whatever seasoning you like. Make sure your grill is clean, wipe the grill with some oil using a paper towel, or something similar, or spray some oil from can, I recently bought special grill oil can, I’m sure it is the same oil they just charged me extra for the fancy name. Put the chicken on turn the grill to medium, it should say “medium” on your gas grill dial. I’d say about 10-15 minutes per side should be more than enough. The main thing with white meat it cooks really fast and if it is overcooked, might as well start chewing on the soul of your shoe. You might just have to experiment with time. Cut into the chicken and see if it is done, if it is not leave for another 5 minutes. Also try not to disturb chicken until it is done on the first side, it will get stock to the grill on the first side until it is cooked and if you try to remove it before it will get ripped.
When chicken is done you can serve it with some sauce/dressing.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Hi everyone and thanks for all the suggestions. So the good news is that I ended up with chicken that was cooked well and actually juicy! The bad news is that it was still fairly bland and it did not go over well with the family. I had put some garlic salt and spices on it before cooking but it was not enough to have much effect on the flavor. I'll have to get some marinades to try.

So, one more question:

my wife likes thinner slices. If I cut the breast in half (thickness wise) will that be a problem? I know it will cut down the cooking time but does that introduce anything else I should know about?
Old 02-13-2013, 03:07 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

If you don't slice it all the way through and open it up you can call it Butterflied Chicken Breast

IMO it's probably better sliced thinner, or pounded flat. Then the surface seasoning won't have so much meat to try to flavor. You'll get a better seasoning/bite ratio.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I prefer pounding it thinner or butter fly rather than slice into 2 pieces. If pounding, try to make a uniform thickness and do this before marinading it. Place a chicken breast between two pieces of plastic wrap. Pound decidedly but not too hard with the flat side of a meat mallet. If not that, use a rolling pin or even a regular hammer. Don't pierce holes in the meat. It will tenderize the meat too. Work on thicker areas the most. Duh.

Marinades I find, are often more robust or more strongly flavored than you would first think. If you tend to like one garlic clove in a sauce, think two in the marinade. Etc. Well, not every flavor. Fresh rosemary some is enoough, more is not necessarily better. Bottled Italian salad dressing is easy, you can add more herbs to enhance. Teriyaki marinade and then sauce is good as well.

For chicken, I don't use the same marinade for my serving / finishing sauce. Rather, Divide it and save some separate to make the sauce. Discard the marinade after using.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #16
Master Chef

You might consider thighs instead of breasts. They have so much more flavor (read fat) than breasts. Personally, I've never eaten a grilled chicken breast (certainly not boneless) that was worth a hoot.

I'm grilling some bone in, skin on thighs tonight that will be as succulent as they've always been.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #17
Master Chef

When I grill chicken breasts, I do it over hot charcoal on my Webber kettle. I suspect that with a full load of charcoal, and all vents closed half way, the internal temp of the grill is about 425 to 450. I always use bone in, skin on chicken breasts. I use direct heat. The fat from the skin drips into the charcoal and makes flavorful smoke, that deposits on the chicken. I use a meat thermometer to check the final meat temp. I remove the chicken at 160' as measured with the thermometer, and stack the chicken on a platter. I let it sit for ten minutes or so. There is carry-over cooking that causes the meat temperature to rise further still, after the breasts are removed to the platter.

The beauty of leaving the skin on, is that most of the fat drips away, and, If I make a mistake, and the fire is too hot, I just remove any charred skin before serving. I don't sauce the chicken until the last minute of cooking time, as most barbecue sauces contain sugar that will burn long before the chicken is cooked through. Total cooking time for the chicken, full load over full charcoal load is about ten minutes, give or take a few as dictated by the thermometer.

I have found through countless experiments that the main factor between juicy and dry chicken is final meat temperature. The brines help hydrate the meat, and the marinades add flavor to the meat surface. But whether I'm pan frying, roasting, baking, grilling, or broiling, the chicken comes our juicy when I pull it from the heat at 160' F. Hope this helps.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Have you tried brining the chicken before you cook it? If I remember correctly you mix 3/4 cup of Kosher salt with 1 gal. of water and stir until the salt is dissolved. Then soak the chicken peices for about an hour to an hour and a half before cooking them. The salt retains the moisture in the chicken while it cooks making it tender and juicy. You can google "Brine recipes" and there are hundreds of recipes that you can use. There are numerous different things you can add to brine to enhance the flavor.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:12 AM   #19
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
Forget the boneless, skinless breasts.
You can get bone in cheaper, and you will have
much better results! Just remove the skin after
grilling the breast.
+1

And as mentioned above, brining is another option for producing juicy grilled breasts.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:48 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

How does brining compare to marinating?

Tags
chicken, chicken breasts, grill, other